How to give good head

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One interesting side effect that I've notice when using FB is not only does it improve head retention and lacing a great deal but it also 'improves' the krausen on the fermentation.

For some reason I've never worked out I always have only had a measly krausen on my fermentions, even if I used a true top cropping strain. But the two times I've used FB so far, I've also used it in recipes I have used the Gales strain with, which is a true top cropping strain. The krausen has been/is very dense and about 2 inches thick (it's at the level of the cling film on the FV. Any higher and it would be escaping the FV). This is for low gravity beers (1.036 and 1.044). I imagine if I used the strain along with FB in the recipe on a high gravity beer i'd need a blow off tube

One interesting side effect that I've notice when using FB is not only does it improve head retention and lacing a great deal but it also 'improves' the krausen on the fermentation.

For some reason I've never worked out I always have only had a measly krausen on my fermentions, even if I used a true top cropping strain. But the two times I've used FB so far, I've also used it in recipes I have used the Gales strain with, which is a true top cropping strain. The krausen has been/is very dense and about 2 inches thick (it's at the level of the cling film on the FV. Any higher and it would be escaping the FV). This is for low gravity beers (1.036 and 1.044). I imagine if I used the strain along with FB in the recipe on a high gravity beer i'd need a blow off tube

Sound advice! I'll bear that in mind! 👍

Latest posts

Back