Fermentation Time - Am I waiting long enough?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only time I've used a secondary is when I've a brew ready to bottle, but not enough bottles free. So into an old pressure barrel and leave it to clear a bit and for me to get more beer drunk.
If your beer gets very clear though, it can take a while for bottles to get their pressure up...

Only time I've used a secondary is when I've a brew ready to bottle, but not enough bottles free. So into an old pressure barrel and leave it to clear a bit and for me to get more beer drunk.
If your beer gets very clear though, it can take a while for bottles to get their pressure up...

I recently racked a beer to a secondry because I wanted the yeast at the bottom of the FV. I then racked it into a bottling bucket a week later. There's the finest dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottles. I think these are going to take a while to carb up

I had cider in Demi johns for six months before bottling, the cider was crystal clear and the bottles still carbed up on two weeks.

I recently racked a beer to a secondry because I wanted the yeast at the bottom of the FV. I then racked it into a bottling bucket a week later. There's the finest dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottles. I think these are going to take a while to carb up
You may be surprised.:thumb:
Clear or nearly clear beer only takes a few more days to carb up in my experience, and you still end up with a small amount of yeast in the bottom of the bottle which presumably is yeast 'cultured' during the carbonation stage.

There's no need to secondary, unless you have a purpose for it. Such as wanting to have less yeast in the bottle or using it for dry hopping purposes.

It's good I guess if ur using a yeast like west coast, which I've noticed no matter how long in the cold the beer is, it still starts coming down the neck early. Notty is a high flocculating yeast which makes secondary pretty much a waste of time and resources.

Fermentation is done when it's done, test its gravity and you'll know.

I don't use secondary, it's in primary until I hit the target or close and not moving and then transferred to the PB or bottled after moving to a bottling bucket.

If you leave it long enough in primary to do what it needs to do, pretty much everything will have dropped out of suspension to leave a pretty clear beer, if I need to dry hop I would just chuck it in the primary.

I like to make things as close to the KISS principle as possible throughout the entire brewing process.

Here here. The hydro will tell you. But I think it's wise to take into account a few more days after is a safe call. To clean up

Latest posts

Back