Hop rates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickymint21

Reaction score
Santa was very kind and imported from America me a Home Beverage Company Ltd, mini brew mashtun and 6.5 gallon fermenter and i put them through there paces at the weekend with a red irish ale and there seem to have worked superbly, so i was thinking of putting the equipment to serious test and brew my favourite all grain recipe my version of skullsplitter which is a follows

Grain Bill
7100grams Maris Otter Malt
80 grams chocolate Malt
242 grams Crystal Malt
242 grams torrified wheat
Hops
Boil hops-37grams WGV for 1.5 hours
403 grams brown sugar

Last 15mins of boil 25 grams WGV

This gives a OG 1080 if however i krank up the OG to 1145
the grain bill be the following
Maris otter 12869 grams
Choc Malt 146 grams
Crystal Malt 438 grams
Torrified Wheat 438 grams
Brown Sugar 731 grams

With this increrase will i need to increase the hopping rate due this dramatic increase in the malt bill, i intend to use the new white label yeast strain which can tolerate 25% ABV and possibly a champagne yeast to finish it off.

the general rule of thumb i've come to know is to keep your IBU's under your OG. so for a 1.050 gravity wort, keep your IBU's under 50.

and even better tip, i've found from my own experiments is going 10 points under the SG gives a nicely balanced bitterness.

of course you can go over this threshold, but the more over you go, the longer the maturation time of the beer before that grassy taste is gets to a palletable level and the beer balances itself again.

time, i've found plays an important factor when kegging. when bottling i've noticed it bares little changes to the bitterness and hop aroma. i've got bottled beer from 2 months ago and it tastes exactly the same as 2 weeks in the bottle... the kegged version however, matured and mellowed as time went by.

spose it depends on how quickly you want to drink it... i'm not a fan of over hopped beer, and have a habit of drinking straight from the fermenter when times are hard :lol: so i generally dont tend to overshoot the 35 IBU mark if i know it's going to get drunk within a month of it being in the keg, regardless of OG. but when stocks are good and i've got time for maturation, and plan on kegging, i have been known to push the IBU's closer to the SG figure ;)

hope this helps :thumb:

Latest posts

Back