Honey in Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about honey in beer, i've used 10% in the boil and 200g for priming a keg before with good results, but i'd like to know what the best way is to get that honey to be prominent, not overpowering but obviously there.

I put 2kg in my last brew with some Nelson Sauvin hops and a hand full of grains :lol: But it's definitely not over powering, i think the nelsons work just perfect with honey. It does need a bit longer to mature but so far it's tasting great. I only primed the batch with 50 g of honey and i find that good but i'll go for 60 or 70 next time

I did one which I called Basil-n-Bees. Had Honey and Basil leaves in it and it was bloody lovely. Would you like me to post the recipe?

I brewed a Honey Porter. It was very good but it gave me a terrible hangover sort of thing. But then i brewed a Gail Porter recipe which was fabulous but it made me fart so bad i nearly farted the roof off. I loved it but SWMBO was not amused. A combination of the two would be bad. V bad.

Oh, was this about honey????

I've done it, although I boiled the snot out of it. Honey flavour or aroma? Nowt. Just worked as an alcohol booster, as you might expect.

Adding it after the bulk of primary fermentation is that way to go I believe. I made a mead without so much as pasteurising the honey, just mixing it in cold. The aroma is astounding.

We had a honey beer night last month at our club.

I used heather honey as that was all I had. I added 5ml to each pint bottle as priming sugar while bottling a fairly standard pale ale. It was overpowering but then I don't like honey in beers.

If I had to do it again I'd use a milder, clear honey but I'd use the same method. By priming with honey you keep all the aromatics.

/Phil.

Phil said:
We had a honey beer night last month at our club.

I used heather honey as that was all I had. I added 5ml to each pint bottle as priming sugar while bottling a fairly standard pale ale. It was overpowering but then I don't like honey in beers.

If I had to do it again I'd use a milder, clear honey but I'd use the same method. By priming with honey you keep all the aromatics.

/Phil.
Sorry Phil i can't seem to find out this and i was trying to compare. I've had some rouble carbonating with honey and this time i used 50g for a 5 gallon batch which worked ok but i think i'll up it to 60g next time. Definitely better than the bombs i was making :oops: My question is what does 5ml of honey per bottle equate to in a 5 gallon batch?

No idea. I heated a load of honey until it was liquid and used a syringe to stick it into the individual bottles once filled with beer.

/Phil.

My question is what does 5ml of honey per bottle equate to in a 5 gallon batch?

Well done with the maths there V1 But i meant in weight

says mls above...not grams :wha:

I assume honey weighs more than water due to the dissolved sugary compounds amongst other things.
1ml of water is roughly 1gm, so put a container on your scales, tare it, add 100g's of water, mark the position on the container, pour the water away and dry the container, re-tare if needed, add honey to the 100ml mark and note the weight.
Divide the weight by 100 and you'll know the weight of 1ml of honey....sorted ;)

Latest posts

Back