Red wine maceration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomme homme

Regular.
Reaction score
For how long do others leave the black grape skins, pips and stalks in before straining the juice off? I feel that in previous years, I've taken the juice off the skins, pips and stalks too soon and thus have produced an acceptable wine but lacking in body because there's not enough tannin. My grapes are - I think - either Castel or Oberlin. Thoughts please?

As a rule, the stalks are not left in because they contain stuff which can spoil the flavour. There is plenty enough tannin in the skins and pips. Colour extraction works best with alcohol, so it helps if the must has started fermenting but you can also use an enzyme such as Rohavin to speed up the process. Once the skins have turned pink, the job is done. I find 3 days is enough.

Thank you, Tony. My juice has now been on the skins, pips and stalks for eight days so I'll strain off the juice tomorrow.

This year the vintage has, like the curate's egg, been good in parts. Quantity is down (due to the late frosts in May) but quality - and brix readings - is up (due to a new neighbour cutting down the trees on his boundary which, as they've grown, have reduced the amount of sun on the vines). So it looks as if I'll be drinking less and but enjoying more!

Not all black grapes produce good red wine. I have a Wrotham pinot (meunier). The wine has good colour but poor flavour. So this year I made a blanc de noir and blended it with chardonnay and got a much better flavour from both. I have also found that elderberries can significantly improve poor reds.

Back