Virgin wine worries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skaex

Reaction score
Hi, so I've recently bottled my first wine, from fruit. At the end of secondary fermentation, it had a greeny white scum on top, so I siphoned from the middle of the batch, added a couple of campden tablets and then siphoned into bottles, the corks of which had also been soaked in campden tablets.
Having had a look at it today, 1 week in, I can see the sediment on the bottom side, (which I expected?) However, there is also a thin white film on the top, do I need to once more rack into sterile bottles and continue aging or can i leave this? Or despite my efforts, has it gone Pete tong and should be used for drain cleaner?
If it makes any difference, the fruit used was elderberries.

I am also a newbie when it comes to wine, I think general advice is leave it in the bottle and see how it is. Elderberry requires a good amount of time in the bottle (1 year is recommended) Usually you want minimum sediment in the bottle and thin white film to me doesnt sound great however if you have done all the work, just hide the bottles for a year and see what happens. Worst case, you tip it away in a years time, best case, you have some bottles of drinkable wine! :)

I hope so!
It's literally my first ever batch, and everything other than the yeast and nutrient has been sourced from scratch, it already feels like it's a little life I'm responsible for, just too excited to not bother it

Back