Spiced orange wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dw153

Reaction score
After a fun summer of brewing, I'm being forced to think about festive creations. Last year I made a mincemeat wine which got mixed reviews. This year I was thinking of doing a spiced orange wine. My recipe for a 1 gal DJ would be along the lines of 3L orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise. No boiling, just chuck it all in!

Does anybody have experience of doing something like this? Does this combination of spices work well?

Thoughts, suggestions, etc :thumb:

I think I'd be more inclined to make a spice infused vodka from whole spices and blend that with the orange wine at the bottling stage - presumably you will be brewing the wine strong and sweat by adding sugar until you kill the yeast.

Not tried a wine but I've made a few 'Christmas' ciders along the same lines as the ingredients you've mentioned (but using Apple juice of course !)

Main suggestion would be to go easy on the cloves, they can be a little overpowering !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

presumably you will be brewing the wine strong and sweat by adding sugar until you kill the yeast.

No, my intention was to add enough sugar to take it to about 10% and let it ferment dry. If it's too dry I could always back sweeten. If I did as you suggest PLUS add vodka, the end product would be something like 25% wouldn't it?!

Roddy said:
Not tried a wine but I've made a few 'Christmas' ciders along the same lines as the ingredients you've mentioned (but using Apple juice of course !)

Main suggestion would be to go easy on the cloves, they can be a little overpowering !

Interesting, I was wondering about doing a cider too. Was it any good?

Chippy_Tea said:
its got to be better than mincemeat wine :sick: :lol:

Many people have that initial reaction! It tasted like mince pies in a glass. To clarify, when I say "mincemeat" I mean this:
51ucpe8D6nL._SY355_.jpg

not this:
77760011_1_640x640.jpg

Yup Christmas cider was pretty good mate [emoji4]

There'll be recipes in the brewdays forum or I can send you a link if you can't find one

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back