Adding yeast nutrient late?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Just a thought,

Ive got a supermarket juice variant on the go, its in secondary but not yet close to complete,

Now, when I started this one I didnt have any yeast nutrient. It was on order but arrived too late.

What would be the likely result if I were to add some now?

If your yeast are busy and working i wouldnt bother myself, my limited understanding is the nutrient products are intended to aid in the population growth stage when the yeast are consuming o2 by providing the building blocks needed. (google the effects of a single drop of olive oil in a starter. Apparently that contains all the yeast could need and some.. .)
So If the O2 from the initial aeration and pitch have been exhausted then the nutrient product probably wont have any impact on the yeasts activity and simply remain in solution in your final product. what do they taste like?

Yes, that seems to make sense. Well, the yeast seemed to be nice and vigorous so i guess theyve done their job,

I havent tasted this one yet. It smells (off the airlock) a bit odd, but I think thats me not being used to the smell of fermented melon!

Latest posts

Back