To stir or not to stir? (yeast after fermenting starts)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_Henry

Reaction score
I gather its a good idea to get the wort as airy as possible when pitching the yeast, as the yeast needs as much oxygen as possible. So, is it a good idea to give the brew a good stir during fermentation?

I've also read "If you dare" leave the top of the fermenting bin to allow for as much oxygen as pos.

i wouldnt stir during fermentation, give the wort a good thrashing before adding yeast. if you leave the lid off you are asking for an infection! put the lid on, keep it at a constant temp and bobs ur uncle

According to Chris White of White Labs, that is the case - 12 hours after the start of fermentation, for a couple of minutes. It's probably because the yeasts are still in the lag phase at that stage, and that's when they really need the O2. I don't know whether a thrashing with a paddle will introduce enough at that stage, or whether an aquarium air stone would be the best way.

It's not something I want to risk at the moment.

John_Henry said:
So, is it a good idea to give the brew a good stir during fermentation?
I tried that once, when I was just starting back into kit brewing. :whistle:

Good job the FV was on a hard floor.

Have a mop and bucket ready :lol:

:rofl: @ Moley.

I have had a similar 'accident' when I've dropped a FV when carrying it. Airlock-powered beer on the wall and ceiling. I was NOT popular.

Cheers chaps. Very interesting! I gave it a bit of a stir about 12 hrs in (so bang on there), but am hesitating now, seems to be going nicely, so I don't want to risk it. Im using a bubbler air lock, so was a little concerned that no oxygen could get in? I have just put a clean cloth over in the past without any problems.

You could do the double drop method to get more oxygen in. Basically transferring the beer between 12 and 18hours after pitching.

A bubbler will be fine - once fermentation takes hold, you will have a FV full of CO2, which is heavier than air. The oxygen would need a shovel to dig its way in.

Before I pitch yeast I'll get a tesco hand blender with whisk attachment (sterilised) and go mental for a few minutes!

When it's all nice and foamy I'll throw in the yeast starter, Then I'll not touch it for at least 10 days.

Hasn't let me down yet.

Back