My Shopping List

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus A Duxass

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm just putting together my first shopping list. I need to buy this lot and be ready for when I move into the new house.

St Peters Microbrewery Premium Set
Campden Tablets
Some cleaning agent

Is this all that I need?

I have also realised after reading on here that a fermentation cupboard may be necessary.
The barn has no heating and temperatures around here vary from +35 to -25.

My wife (bless her for the world would be a darker place without (official title)) has said that she no longer wants the single upright freezer, I am pretty sure that I can convert that - your thoughts.

Thanks
TAD

If it takes a fermenting vessel after the shelves are removed get a greenhouse tublar heater and some kind of thermostat fitted, do it quick so she can't change her mind..... Bless them they do occasionally

Your shopping list is a bit useless to us as we don't know what you have and what brewing you will be doing. Give us a clue !

piddledribble said:
do it quick so she can't change her mind..... Bless them they do occasionally

True but in this instance SWMIBO has already made it clear that she expects a modern, bigger replacement.

piddledribble said:
Your shopping list is a bit useless to us as we don't know what you have and what brewing you will be doing. Give us a clue !

Okay for clarity - I have nothing, nix, nada, niet other than the above mentioned freezer and a desire to brew Real Ale - i.e. not fizzy, I can get no end of fizzy high quality beer (20 half litre bottles for 8 euro). I want it on "draft" and not out of a bottle.

Ooooh your wanting a big set up then..... ( at least you got some campden tablets lol.
I guess your talking extract or biab or all grain if so I'll hand you over to an expert....there will be one passing in a minute or two, perhaps 3 at once, lifes like that.

Right, im really no expert (just began doing AG) especially since i only bottle for convience (and incase a barrel splits cos of overcarb or fault), but i'll give u my 2 cents...

Where r u ordering from cos peeps in the uk dont post co2 overseas also u'll most likely need more co2 (i think this is so it keeps coming out the barrel easy while somewhat fizzy, but u may well end up with a flat beer like u wanted). Anyway real ale is meant to have a bit of carbonation to give a proper head.
As for the kit if u want a barrel it seems as good as any and the 3kg of malt extract will give a good brew, u could even supplement with some extra hops in a muslin bag (to dry hop) to bung in the keg if u can position it away from the tap maybe buy glueing a hook to the lid and trying the bag onto it, or do it properly by getting another fv dry hopping then kegging. adding extra hops is very good in kits as the kits tend to be bitter enough but lacking that fresh aroma. For safety some spare yeast could be useful and it keeps well if its dry stuff as the kits can be a tad unreliable. some vaseline can also be useful for sealing the kegs. Campden tablets r probably not essential, useful for water treatment though. If u want clear beer, finings like gelatin etc are useful and stops too much yeast clouding up the beer from the keg (again a secondary fv is good for clearing but gelatin can be added to the keg without issues).
Another thing is seemas its posted and its generally a flat charge it can be worth ordering some more kits or grain as kits keep well (apart from their yeast).

Also in the future, If going allgrain its worth ordering some cheap voile net curtain material to BIAB and something to boil 20l+ of the wort and hops (not needed for the extract kits btw the all extract kits 3kg are defo the best and i hear good things about the betterbrew pouches aswell)

Latest posts

Back