blackberry wine - anyone got a recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
just about to come into around 10lb of blackberrys - anyone got a recipe or any ideas! :wha:

cheers!

From First steps in winemaking by CJJ Berry

4.5 L

1.75kg blackberries (The fruit not the phone ;) )
1kg table sugar
4.5 L of boiling water
Yeast nutrient
Pectolase
Wine yeast

Wash the blackberries
Place in a fermenting bin and crush
Pour on boiling water and allow to cool
Add pectin enzyme and yeast nutrient
24 hours later add wine yeast
Ferment on the pulp for 5 days
Strain into a fermenting jar and ferment out.

have made my blackberry wine yesterday, spent 3 hours picking them, and they are now fermenting nicely at the side of me!!!
Gonna do more picking this week as well!!!!
Looking forward to this wine!!

cheers tubby_shaw and falafael!

must get a copy of that book - lots of people have mentioned it!!

i`ve got six kilo already and more coming to me over the next few weeks untill they go out of season - best bit is my missus`s mum picks them for me!!

so gonna get a couple gallons on tonight - have you used this recipe before?

also i`m just tucking into my first pint of turbo cider :twisted: - what do you reckon to a turbo cider with blackberry ? :idea:

I've used that recipe in the past, it produces a really nice light wine that is best drunk young.

Even if you keep the wine out of the light eventually it goes a dingy brown after about 6-9 months . . . Still tastes OK though

i`ll be lucky to see it last 6 to 9 weeks!!!

it keeps the missus happy and means i can brew loads of beer too!!

just ordered a second hand copy of First steps in winemaking by CJJ Berry of amazon for £2.17!!

BARGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

including delivery!!!

The recipes do call for rather a lot of sugar ;)
But I reduced the amount in the recipe I posted :thumb:

blackberry wine on the go!!

will put in DJ on friday - and post some pics of its progress!

thanks for the help!

Is it time to pick Blackberries yet? I might go out and get some to make wine with.

the book arrived today - i also picked up five DJ`s and about 10kg of windfall apples through freecycle!! RESULT!

really looking forward to trying some of the recipes in the book - i`ve got 12 DJ`s so going to be going for it!

have got aload of blackberries on mixed in with my hedges, my little lad keeps on about picking them to make a wine (what can i say he likes helping me), so seeing as i have just purchased an extra long hedge trimmer ( the hedges are about 18ft high) i suppose i`ll have to pick em ASAP :)

may as well

Although I'm starting to resent having to go there, my journey to w**k is really quite pleasant.

Just half a mile and I'm out of town and onto rural ‘A’ road. Passing a lock and a canal junction, after 6 miles I peel off onto country lanes for a further 5 miles past a marina, another lock with a lockside pub, then a final quarter mile of ‘B’ road to our industrial estate.

There's one particular turning on the brow of a hill where there is room to park and a large area of brambles along the edge of a field. It takes me 5 minutes from that turning to my place of empoyment, so if I've got a few minutes in hand I've been stopping most mornings to pick blackberries. It has seemed to justify my day.

Washing and freezing them when I get home, after 2 weeks my stocks have built up and I have just started a first batch as folows:

9 lbs Blackberries
4.5 litres Apple Juice
1 kg sugar for now, but I will add more when I've mashed the berries and taken a gravity reading
3 Campdens
1 tbsp Pectolase
2 tsp Citric Acid
Boiling water to 3 gallons

I will go in with a potato masher tomorrow morning, then check gravity. Yeast & nutrient in tomorrow evening, straining to DJs after 5 days.

my blackberry wine has been in the bucket since sunday so i strained it off and put into DJ`s tonight - however due to drinking a few turbo ciders when i started it i didn`t take into account the volume of blackberries in the recipe so i`ve ended up with nearly three gallons!!

i had 4kg of blackberries to 2.4kg of sugar and it`s looking great already!!

IMGP1106.jpg

like the look of your recipe moley - be good to some pics too, i see you make loads of wine - you ever done an apple wine?
i`ve access to loads of free apples - eaters and cookers!!

the blackberry wine is gonna be good - four kilos of blackberrys looked like this after being in the bucket five days!!!

rickthebrew said:
like the look of your recipe moley - be good to some pics too
Thanks Rick. Sorry, but no pics yet. Just given it a whizz with a hand blender and pitched the yeast. OG's only 1.056 for now but I will bump that up another 40 with syrup when I strain to DJs.

I see you make loads of wine - you ever done an apple wine?
Well, I only came back to this in March and I'm trying to build up stocks ;)
The juices and fruity bags are ready for drinking almost straight away, but proper country wines need a good few months.

I really can't remember but don't think I've ever used apples on their own for wine.

hey guys... just put some blackberries in a bucket with boiled water and mashed em good! Thing is, i think i am a bit short on fruit by about a quater of a pound. Was wondering, if i needed to could i top up with a fruit juice before final ferment? I was thinking apple or cranberry.

grinchy said:
i am a bit short on fruit by about a quater of a pound. Was wondering, if i needed to could i top up with a fruit juice before final ferment? I was thinking apple or cranberry.
Quantites aren't compulsory and recipes are made to be bent or tweaked.

Add a complementary juice (such as Apple) and cut back on the water. Keep notes though so that you could repeat it next year if it works out well.

Go for it Grinchy! :cheers:

Back