us05 yeast hanging a round

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkar

Reaction score
Hi I have had great beers with this yeast and generally have found it clears very quickly until now , here is a there is still a thin layer of yeast on top after day 13,any recommendations, was trying to post a pic but no joy , I put 2 packets for 40 litres

I always struggle to get S-05 to drop and usually resort to gelatine or when the kegerator is empty crash cooling ( time for another fridge I think )

I assume that you have hit your final gravity and believe it to have finished? I have heard of S05 taking up to 3 weeks ( although that has not happened to me )

Hi cant really take a sample as i have no tap on the fermenter , dont want to get in there with a jug either , from previous i would imagine it has been done though my experience is that us05 ferments out with in a matter of days, there was a huge fluffy krausen for the best part of a week temp betwen 22-19 , which has now subsided to this yeast layer

Hawks said:
I always struggle to get S-05 to drop and usually resort to gelatine or when the kegerator is empty crash cooling ( time for another fridge I think )

+1 to that.

It really can be a pain to drop out but if you want a strong hop flavour in your beer then there really is no substitute. If someone knows of a suitable alternative I'll be more than willing to use it. I did hear Nottingham described as neutral but I've just used it on a Citra brew and it seems to have driven off most of the flavour :(

Cheers Tom

soupdragon said:
Hawks said:

+1 to that.

It really can be a pain to drop out but if you want a strong hop flavour in your beer then there really is no substitute. If someone knows of a suitable alternative I'll be more than willing to use it. I did hear Nottingham described as neutral but I've just used it on a Citra brew and it seems to have driven off most of the flavour :(

Cheers Tom

same reason I keep using it, I have tried Nottingham recently, splitting a wort and fermenting with Notts, S-05 and S-04.. It needs at least another week of conditioning but on initial taste the S-05 had far more hoppy characteristics.

If you are happy culturing yeasts, the Fullers Bengal Lancer yeast is worth it for hoppy beers. :thumb: If you are not, search on here as there is plenty of info and it's not hard at all and well worth the results :cheers:

He he the last time I captured yeast was about 25-30 years ago from a bottle of Guinness. Turned out rather well if I remember correctly.
I take it that Bangal Lancer is bottle conditioned then? The only issue these days is that most brewers don't use their primary strain for bottle conditioning :(
I do like that beer though, been a while since I've had it though...

Cheers Tom

soupdragon said:
He he the last time I captured yeast was about 25-30 years ago from a bottle of Guinness. Turned out rather well if I remember correctly.
I take it that Bangal Lancer is bottle conditioned then? The only issue these days is that most brewers don't use their primary strain for bottle conditioning :(
I do like that beer though, been a while since I've had it though...

Cheers Tom

BL is bottle conditioned and I am sure someone on the forum had confirmed it was the primary strain :thumb:

Latest posts

Back