What have I brewed?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
It's this recipe;

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L     
Boil Size: 22.89 L
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
3.15 kg       Lager Malt (2.0 SRM)                      Grain        92.6 %       
0.25 kg       Caragold (6.1 SRM) (Hot Steep 30 mins)       Grain        7.4 %         
30.00 gm      Cluster [7.30%]  (60 min)                 Hops         28.8 IBU     
20.00 gm      Cluster [7.00%]  (10 min)                 Hops         6.7 IBU   
Safale S-04

It tastes thin, lagery, a little hop bitterness (it's just out of the FV today so hard to tell.) I would say it's close to a blonde ale, but cluster hops are so plain that i'd compare them to nobles, and blonde ale i'd probably associate with typical english ale hops at minimum.

So er, what is it? If it's brewed at ale temps but basically a lager recipe with lager malt, where do I go from here? :lol:

No idea what that is...

...where would *I* go with it? Bottles, big prime 6 or 7g/l. Leave it 'til summer and serve a bit on the cool side in the sunshine with the barbecue smouldering behind you...

:thumb:

calumscott said:
No idea what that is...

...where would *I* go with it? Bottles, big prime 6 or 7g/l. Leave it 'til summer and serve a bit on the cool side in the sunshine with the barbecue smouldering behind you...

:thumb:

:cheers:

I would say it's pretty much a German interpretation of a pint of bitter but with American hops!

Can't remember where, but I've seen this type of brew called a 'mid-Atlantic' pale ale. Combining American hops with a more conventional British OG and blonde/golden colour.

I would have said pale ale too, sure it will be a nice refreshing pint

My father in law calls such beers a "blonde". I'm brewing it regularly from March to September, specially for him. Just thinnier pale ale, in my brew log it's signed as AK if og is 1.040 or less, XK if over 1.040 (a small tribute to British brewing history, thanks to Ron Pattinson). Very nice summer drink.

My recipe looks very similar to yours, pilsner malt, some Munich or Vienna, pinch of pale crystal ~25 ebc, any hops to ~25 IBU in 2 additions, 20 gms 10 mins from the end, rest at 60 mins (mine seems less bitter, that's for main consumer taste). Fermented with any good ale yeast, Notty, Mauri Ale, US-05. MauriBrew Ale became my favourite last year.

that makes sense, i would say this would be a lot better in the summer than it is in the cold. thank god it's hit the highest temp this year today!

i'm not overly sold on the recipe, how did yours go zgoda? do the munich/vienna add a maltier flavour? what hops are good for a straw coloured summer ale? i thought maybe about doing something like Brooklyn Summer Ale after this, a very blonde ale with a touch of cascade. ultimate summer...

Mine is balanced towards malt, so munich or Vienna play nicely. Hops: any I have at hand. Styrians, Hallertau, Perle, domestic mild varieties, like Sybilla or Lomik.

interesting. i may tinker in the future. it's interesting to know what such a bland brew tastes like, i'm sure the hoppiness will come through in a few weeks too. there's nothing wrong with a lagery ale brew with a restrained hop schedule to keep supplies going and mates happy at a low cost i reakon...with a little work it could be a corker. maybe i'll err on the wheat beer side a little in future.

Latest posts

Back