No acid malt - can I use an acid rest?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
As per subject, if I don't have any acid malt can I simply perform an acid rest to lower the ph if a recipe calls for acid malt?

i remember reading that acid malt actually only exists to keep in check with german purity laws - you can use other methods to change the ph if you're not fussed about using 100% malt :lol: can't help from there....

Funnily enough, it is for a German recipe: I forgot to add 500g of it to my last order and I am NOT paying £5-6 to have a small bag shipped!

acid malt does lower ph in mashing , it is pilsner malt sprayed with lacto something or other (can't spell or remember) so is very useful and easy , acid rests won't work as it will take possibly days for the ph to start to lower so skip the acid .My last batch was brewed with 4% and it dropped by around 3% extra , i've yet to sample any as it's in fermenter .

It helps to have small bottle of lactic acid in the kitchen, just in case. ;)

If you have any winemaker shop nearby, try them. Lactol has common use in winemaking. If you want to drop pH, you might try with phosphoric acid, it's just as safe as lactic, although stronger. But in this case phosphoric is of no use.

no idea , do you know what your mash ph is ( depends on how much dark malt you use , dark = lower ph ) and have you a water report ? i could assist you with what you can do .

You need to know your alkalinity and the rest of the water quality parameters first. If you have little alkalinity, then an acid rest could provide the acidity needed to reach a proper mash pH. But if the water has significant alkalinity, the acid rest won't dent it without allowing hours or days to let the lactic bacteria do their work.

If the water has significant Temporary Hardness, then a quick boil, rest, and decant could drop that alkalinity to a more modest 50 to 60 ppm range. That might make it possible to use an acid rest and hit your pH.

Using Citric acid is an option, but it has fairly notable flavor impact. If the alkalinity is low and you don't have to add much, then it might work.

Do visit the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water website to learn more about this acidification issue. By the way, Bru'n Water includes a calculator with Citric acid, but you have to know what your water profile is.

Good luck.

pittsy said:
no idea , do you know what your mash ph is ( depends on how much dark malt you use , dark = lower ph ) and have you a water report ? i could assist you with what you can do .
Decent water reports are hard to come by in my area (Dwr Cymru). I can find the "average hardness" and I can find a full breakdown of every single foreign body in the water, but nothing as useful as pH or CACO3.

WelshPaul said:
Decent water reports are hard to come by in my area (Dwr Cymru). I can find the "average hardness" and I can find a full breakdown of every single foreign body in the water, but nothing as useful as pH or CACO3.
Have you asked your water company for a full report? They should send you one if you ask.

TBH, I'm going to visit a local microbrewery this weekend anyway so I'll ask if they have one.

Latest posts

Back