If I wanted to brew something like London Pride...(newbie)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarrowBrew

Reaction score
Apologies if the info requested is elsewhere on here already. The amount of info on this forum and the gazillion beer kits available to buy are a little overwhelming to this newbie.

So, I have only recently started homebrewing (I filled my first FV using a wine kit today), if I wanted to brew something like London Pride ale:

1. Which beer kit should I pick?
2. What's the equipment I should have?

I currently have: 1 Wilko 25L fermenting bin with lid and grommet fitted, hydrometer, trial jar, thermometer, 2 airlocks w. bung, plenty of extra grommets, Wilko bruclens cleaner/steriliser, long spoon, Wilko siphon with sediment trap.

As the tap water is hard in my area I will buy 24 litres worth of 2L spring water bottles (PET). They are pretty sturdy looking (not flimsy) and I think they can also hold carbonated liquid (Tesco's Clearview springwater, I believe they use the same bottles for their sparkling version), so I am considering bottling the beer into those (once the beer is ready to drink I expect it will all be polished off within 3 months).

Many thanks in advance!

Word of warning - it's hard for experienced all grain brewers to match a particular beer, so getting a kit to match a commercial beer is not going to happen. It depends how close you hope to get I guess.

I can't recommend a kit, but kits need very little equipment. A fermenting bin, thermometer and hydrometer are both useful but not absolutely essential, syphon (unless you have a fermenter with a tap and bottling device), and bottles/capper or keg. Some steriliser, which could be thin bleach. Think that's it, off the top of my head in a hurry. Oh, a can opener. :hat:

Many thanks both -- The woodfordes wherry looks like the ticket! And yes, we have a Wilkinson's just up the road from here.

It seems I can bottle into the 2L PET bottles straight from FV so looks like I won't need additional gear.

Brilliant!

Latest posts

Back