Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I've been reading up on the thread for the last few weeks, and given this a go;
2L ASDA mulled fruit juice,
1L ASDA red grape juice,
1tsp neutrient,
1tsp citric acid,
1tsp pectolase,
½tsp tannin,
1 vitamin B1 tab,
500g brewing sugar,
Super yeast.
Then bentonite to clear it.

Running the numbers this should come out roughly at 176g/l sugar at 5l.

It's been brewing nicely for 3 days so far, but it's only really today that it's become really active in the airlock.

Smells pretty good at the moment, so fingers crossed it turns out ok.

Final update on this. Bottled into 330ml beer bottles and basically drank it in a week, not the most amazing wine in the world but I'd say it was worth the effort. The cherry in the juice came through pretty strongly but was reasonably enjoyable all the same :-).

I have now bought an array of juices to have a go with, melon juice which I will put with welshes white wine juice with pear in it, might try one the same but with coconut water as well, will do a red grape juice with pink grapefruit juice and poss blueberry (sweet n sour) I have now got the red grape (2ltr) and (1 litre ) peach and (1litre) cherry done, I have just put an extra cherry in after fermenting, and finings a & b now comp, so letting it settle.
Larry my colleague on here, has some of my previous bottles, just wtg on his feed back, so hope it’s not like dishwasher water, sherry or down right disgusting lol.

Going to try putting this on tonight, I adapted someone else's recipe for a cheep white wine (because Asda has stopped doing white grape by me);

Brew - Cheap Apple 5 Gallon Wine (ASDA)
Cost Estimate - £2.75, £6, £3.20 = £11.95
Ingredients - 5 litres of apple juice (Asda Smart Price), 6 litres of Pressed Apple and Pear Juice, 5kg of sugar, 5 tsp yeast nutrient, 5 tsp citric acid, 1 sachet of Super Yeast. Add water to total 25L
Notes - I work out the sugar at 248g/L which according to "http://www.musther.net/vinocalc.html" 12.9% potential abv. I'm going to clear with bentonite once it's finished fermentation.

Good luck mate, I will try and put some different ones on tomorrow when I have sterilised my dj’s, my mate says Milton is a great thing to use.
I have just bought a dark Norfolk nog, to do it should arrive tomorrow, that should be fun as never done one before, just need to make sure I have all the equipment, I think I have but might need some other things.
I get so excited when getting something new, or wanting to try something new.

Good luck mate, I will try and put some different ones on tomorrow when I have sterilised my dj’s, my mate says Milton is a great thing to use.

I have used Milton tablets for a couple of years or more and have never had a problem, 2 tablets to a washing up bowl of water does the job, Milton only takes 15 minutes to do its thing and is no rinse so its really quick to use.

A little tip if you plan on bottling - rather than use gallons of the stuff pour approximately 20 - 30 mm into each bottle then put the screw cap on (if that's what you use) then shake each bottle vigorously and shake again after about 8 minutes.

Would you the same solution from one bottle to another, say make one bottle and transfer by a funnel? As I have put campden tablets 2 in a big bucket then done all my bottles, like that before. Was that ok?

The trouble is you have got to have the surface covered for 15 minutes hence my earlier suggestion of having a little in each bottle and shaking vicariously a couple of times in the 15 minutes it needs.

I'd assumed that Milton was expensive, but I've just quickly googled and 28 tabs for £1.50 is a bargain. Wish I hadn't gone and bought a new pot of steriliser yesterday now.

I'd assumed that Milton was expensive, but I've just quickly googled and 28 tabs for £1.50 is a bargain. Wish I hadn't gone and bought a new pot of steriliser yesterday now.

I find Milton cheap and quick to use and you can also get it in a bottle but i prefer the tablets, there has been discussion among beer brewers that you should rinse when brewing beer but i think the jury is still out on that one.

Many will not be aware that it Stay sterile for 24 hours.

Product Description
  • Sterilising Fluid
  • Kills 99.9% of germs*
  • *Bactericidal: in 5 minutes EN1040, EN1276 at (0.5% V/V), EN13697 (at 1.8% V/V). Active on MRSA. Fungicidal: in 15 minutes EN1275 on Candida albicans (germ causing thrush) EN1650 Virucidal: In 15 minutes NFT72-180. Active on Rotavirus.
  • Maximum protection
  • Kills 99.9% of germs
  • Sterilises in 15 mins
  • No need to rinse
  • Stay sterile for 24 hours.

Sounds good as if i remember correctly i used two caps full to a washing up bowl full of water so its going to last a while.

I did 2 dj’s then after 3 hours transfered to another to sterilise the 3rd, will use all 2 dj’s to sterilise a 20 litre tub, oh boy I am going to have fun in the next few days.

You don't need to fill the FV with Milton just do as the bottles above but roll it on its side with the lid on and block the airlock hole with a finger turn it upside down and swirl for a second to cover the inside of the lid, again do this again after 8 minutes.

I find Milton cheap and quick to use and you can also get it in a bottle but i prefer the tablets, there has been discussion among beer brewers that you should rinse when brewing beer but i think the jury is still out on that one.

Many will not be aware that it Stay sterile for 24 hours.

I'm definitely picking that up, the Young's steriliser that I picked up says up to an hour, and you need to rinse. Plus Milton is a hell of a lot less expensive.

I should have known this with having kids, although we've tended to steam sterilise rather than use cold water steriliser.

Really stupid question, if you don't rinse do you just let it air dry before bunging in your brew?

No use it as soon as the 15 minutes is up it doesn't taste of anything strong (i have tasted it) so will not spoil your wine/cider.

I have done all mine and I am well happy, also sterilised my other pots for my sole gin, which is on the go too.
I started 2x1 litre white grape with apple and pear, 1 1/2 litre water melon juice, 1/2 litre apple juice and 1 litre pineapple juice it smells very nice, tanning, yeast neutriant, and a wine yeast, on my heat pad wtg for it to start bubbling.
I will start another tomorrow, and let you know what’s brewing

I have now put on 2 x litre white grape juice with pear and apple, with........... 1 litre coconut water and pineapple, 1/2 litre apple juice and a litre of pink grapefruit juice, again sweet n sour, hope it will brew nicely.

Latest posts

Back