Eggy Smell - Beaverdale Rojo Tinto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philbot

Reaction score
After doing a couple of Winebuddy kits that were reduced in Tesco, I decided to make some better wine for Christmas, so I have a Beaverdale Rojo Tinto and a California Connoisseur White. I started them going 3 days ago in 23 litre fermenting bins. They are bubbling away nicely in a room 20C - 23C

However yesterday I noticed an eggy smell which turned out to be coming from the Beaverdale.

I haven't read of anyone else having this problem with these kits, but I have read horror stories about hydrogen sulfide.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd hate for this batch to be ruined.

some wine as that smell, you fine it a lot with WOW's but other wines do it too, open the lid a little and take a photo then reseal.
let us have a look at it. but what ever you do dont tip it out untill you are 100% its bad.

There are several reasons this can happen but it usually goes away, not adding nutrient is one of the main causes but as yours is a kit i doubt that will be the problem, wait until its finished and see how it is then.

I'm very new to this but have found that my beaverdale 6 bottle Shiraz kit did this after a few days fermenting, it got pretty bad but after a few days the smell went and I racked the wine the other day and it smelt great. So I'd say leave it, it'll probably go away after a couple of days!

My daughter complains that her room always smells like that! Well ever since I started putting the wine to ferment in the airing cupboard in her room anyway!

I'm thinking of adding some tubing to lead out of the window next time... probably rig an airlock up somehow

Latest posts

Back