Coopers Canadian Blonde

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this one set off last night, used 1kg of BE1 plus about 300g of honey. Took it to 23 litres.

Unfortunately it was way too foamy for me to get a reading off the hydrometer (hadn't sanitised the tube that goes with it so just plonked the hydro in the wort!).

Never mind I'm not too bothered about knowing exact alcohol content, it will be roughly 4.5-5%.

Hope this is a good one.

-------------------------------------

Drinking:

Coopers Draught
Coopers European Lager
Hammer of Thor

I did this last year, with 1kg extra light DME and I think possibly 200 gram dex but cannot be sure..

Its okay, very light and for me a bit boring.. If I was ever to go back and do a kit like this again I would at least dry hop or hop tea it..

I recently did this. I added a SAAZ hop tea about 4 days before bottling and I think it is a very nice brew with stronger taste than I normally go for (lager drinker).

I guess ale drinkers might find it a bit light but I added 5 large tea bags and think that would be enough.

Enjoy it.

Hey wheazy joe,
I've just started this kit too - and had the same foam issues with it pouring out the FV as I added the last of the cold water. I steeped 40g of TNT hops (which I think is a blend of other varieties) in the boiled water needed for the kit. I'm planning to dry hop with another 40g towards the end of fermentation.

Not sure how it will turn out as I've not found any reviews from people who have used TNT hops. They're supposed to give a "red berry and tropical fruit" taste based on the blurb from online sellers, but I didn't really get those aromas on brew night (smelt pretty good though).

Bottled this yesterday, got 42 500ml bottles, plus one breakage (my capper broke the glass bottle when I was trying to fit the cap!). Couple of weeks in the spare room then out to the garage.

Bottled this yesterday, got 42 500ml bottles, plus one breakage (my capper broke the glass bottle when I was trying to fit the cap!). Couple of weeks in the spare room then out to the garage.

This should turn out to be a superior product to the bland tasting "lagers" you may have previously bought from the supermarket. The Coopers Kits make good beer in their own right and are easily enhanced by simple additions.

Hope this spurs you on to greater things, Joe, in a few more brews time :drink:

Thanks Slid! Yeah I have plans to move on from kits, this is my 4th but defo itching to step it up a gear!

With hindsight, I think I persisted with the kits, mainly because they are now so much better than what I was able to do in the early 1980's, even doing extract brews.

No need to hang around, though, Joe.

Since you are already boiling up hops, I assume you have a decent sized pot. 15L is fine for doing a 10L AG brew. If you don't have a pot of this sort of size, then that is the first move, I suggest.

Adding fresh grains lifts the beer you brew to a different level. Just steeping some (non-mash) speciality grains and boiling the steeping liquid with the hops makes a big difference.

A grain bag takes you to the world of AG in a single leap.

I have recently bottled this using a recipe from the coopers website called "blushing blonde" which I chose to add raspberries. I have used a couple of their recipes of which I plan to write up some time on here when I have the time!

Back