What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My AIPA been in the bottle a month, im a newbie.. My 3rd batch. Its maybe a little clouded ?. Tastes good though

Attachments

• 20181215_203451.jpg
    20181215_203451.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 74
In the wide awake club and pondering an impromptu brew day as Mrs AK is out Xmas lunching.

Going to go for something NEIPA esk ish me thinks and clear out the hops from the freezer.

In the wide awake club and pondering an impromptu brew day as Mrs AK is out Xmas lunching.

Going to go for something NEIPA esk ish me thinks and clear out the hops from the freezer.

Well... lesson. When drafting a recipe at 5:30am, take stock of grain !

When I came to measure out , I was 500kg short on Golden Promise , and 250g short on Carapils .... spot of Munich to the rescue .

So I’m naming this one Mad Hatter #1.. a little bonkers and very hoppy !

I made an English IPA today, based loosely on Greg Hughes' recipe, but with a few tweaks to suit grain / hop availability. Drafted the recipe which predicted an OG of 1.062 at 85% efficiency and 50 IBU's.

After a number of brews that suffered with DMS, I have become paranoid and try to do everything possible to minimise likelihood of DMS in future brews (90 min vigourous boil, water treatment and plenty of yeast).

Did a user upper of my light and medium crystal malts and of English hops; used some target to supplement the challenger for bittering and some fuggles to replace goldings for the 15 minute addition.

All went quite smoothly, measured OG at 1.068 and pitched with 2 packets of yeast, S-04 and Gervin (thought I had 2 packs of S-04). Calculated efficiency to be 94%, should give an ABV between 6.5 and 7.0%, depending on FG, I have struggled to get below 1.020 recently.

Just kegging today...and aipa that was dry hopped with Amarillo for 4 days and crashed for four. Such a doddle putting it in a keg ..smells and tastes very good and now back in the brew fridge at 19 to carb up.
Plotting my next brew day... probably between christmas and new year now.

Version 3 of my house bitter today. Unfortunately didn't have time to get a starter going of Wyeast 1469 earlier in the week so have used MJ Liberty Bell instead. Never used it before, any thoughts?

Also managed to bottle 15 litres of cider & 23 of stout. Ended up cleaning after the brew in the dark...not fun.

Version 3 of my house bitter today. Unfortunately didn't have time to get a starter going of Wyeast 1469 earlier in the week so have used MJ Liberty Bell instead. Never used it before, any thoughts?

Also managed to bottle 15 litres of cider & 23 of stout. Ended up cleaning after the brew in the dark...not fun.
I've used Liberty Bell a couple of times, with good results. The last one was an Old Peculiar clone, which also had a 5g kit yeast sachet added to cope with the high OG of 1.070. Turned out to be one of the best beers I made this year.

I've used Liberty Bell a couple of times, with good results. The last one was an Old Peculiar clone, which also had a 5g kit yeast sachet added to cope with the high OG of 1.070. Turned out to be one of the best beers I made this year.
What temperature did you go for? I've got mine at 20C at the moment as I want some esters.

What temperature did you go for? I've got mine at 20C at the moment as I want some esters.
I normally leave my brewfridge set at 20°C. I don't recall noticing any ester flavours, but with such a dominant malt character, I'm not sure it would come through.

So, I've brewed a kit from wilko (Triple hopped IPA) and long story short I used the yeast from another can (same type) as I thought the first hadn't started. So that leaves me in a bit of a pickle... I've decided to make the can up to 20l, bottle the fermented batch and throw the fresh wort immediately on the yeast cake. Fingers crossed it works.

Slight issue is that I also threw the extra10g of Amerillo in as a dry hop, so totalled 20g.
Would I ruin the second batch by dry hopping with citra? If not, how much should I dry hop with? 20g again?

Had.a very productive brew day today with an Irish Red.
3kg REDX malt
1.5kg Minch Malt
0.5kg Chateau biscuit malt
20g Northern Brewer @60
20g Cascade @5
Cooled to 21° within 25 minds and whilst transferring to the fermenter I added a cup of Gervin 12 yeast cake scooped from a simcoe and cascade pale ale I was transferring to the keg. All in all it was very productive with brew in the fermentation fridge and clean up complete.
Feet up now in front of telly and no beer as I have to work tomorrow.

Using the previous yeast cake will work or just a few cups of it...
Dry hopping...my pale ale kegged yesterday had around 140g of dry hops....chuck as much as you like in!
So I did it last night and fermentation is already under way. I get that washing and keeping dried yeast or re-using isn't advised but....it seems to work. What are the issues with re-using dried yeast? Will it give off flavours?

Did our go to drink of choice - Summer Lightning, but my first go in the fermentasaurus under pressure, be interesting to see how it turns out

Today, I put down a Mr Beer Craft Range - Bewitched ale. It was a bit of fun as we were using a new sanitizer that took 30 mins contact time, so took longer thank I wanted, but we got there. It looked nice and when I tested the OG, it tasted nice too. I also added a bit more sugar to it, to get the abv up a bit. The og came out at 12 on the Brix reading.

Latest posts

Back