For fans of Adnams

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphid

Regular.
Reaction score
Although I have wandered around the picturesque town of Southwold many times, and seen the Adnams Brewery building from the outside, today I took the formal tour on the inside. Interesting, although it would have been nice to have seen more of the hands-on brewing process from start to finish.

That said, as an Adnams fan, I found this display to be informative, showing the grain and hop types used to brew the many variations produced and I share this with the forum for the benefit of like minded enthusiasts.

IMG_0515.jpg

Thanks for that
I make a Southwold clone every other brew as it is my favourite, I will attempt some of the other now.
Is the tour worth visiting? I keep thinking of doing it

Thanks for that
I make a Southwold clone every other brew as it is my favourite, I will attempt some of the other now.
Is the tour worth visiting? I keep thinking of doing it
I wish I could speak more highly of the tour but, if I am honest, it wasn't great. I had hoped for much more. I have my free bottle of beer as a souvenir and consolation...which I paid for several times over in reality!

I was interested in getting my hands on a couple bottles of the "Both Barrels" listed at the bottom of the image. An experimental brew by the head brewer, ageing standard Adnams Broadside in oak barrels that formerly contained Jack Daniels. There are a few left in different Adnams shops around the county but none left in Southwold. I am told there might be a possibility of more being produced. At 10% ABV, a powerful addition to the range. :cheers:
====================
As an update, I have been looking at online reviews from people who have experienced the Adnams Brewery Tour.

For example:
https://countryweekender.com/2016/12/28/adnams-tour/
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8OVLkYZO0[/ame]

Seems to me that my tour ducked what for me would have been a particularly interesting part of the tour - the fermentation vats and the like. Have emailed Adnams to seek clarification as to why my group were denied access to this.

Last edited:
Surprised to see there is rye in ghost ship as I never liked a beer called rye anything. Thanks for sharing.

I wish I could speak more highly of the tour but, if I am honest, it wasn't great. I had hoped for much more. I have my free bottle of beer as a souvenir and consolation...which I paid for several times over in reality!

I was interested in getting my hands on a couple bottles of the "Both Barrels" listed at the bottom of the image. An experimental brew by the head brewer, ageing standard Adnams Broadside in oak barrels that formerly contained Jack Daniels. There are a few left in different Adnams shops around the county but none left in Southwold. I am told there might be a possibility of more being produced. At 10% ABV, a powerful addition to the range. :cheers:
====================
As an update, I have been looking at online reviews from people who have experienced the Adnams Brewery Tour.

For example:
https://countryweekender.com/2016/12/28/adnams-tour/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os8OVLkYZO0

Seems to me that my tour ducked what for me would have been a particularly interesting part of the tour - the fermentation vats and the like. Have emailed Adnams to seek clarification as to why my group were denied access to this.

I have done the tour a couple of times when I have been to Southwold. I've nothing to compare it to as I haven't been on a tour elsewhere but thought it was ok. I too took a picture of that blackboard for reference but it doesn't give too much away for some of the recipes!
I managed to get my hands on a couple bottles of the beer "Both Barrells" from the closest Adnams shop to me. At £5 for 330ml and 10% abv I haven't decided when I'll drink them yet!

I did the Adnams tour last year and enjoyed it, but then I also have nothing to compare it with as I haven't done any others.

The best bit was diving into the Sole Bay Inn afterwards and getting on the Ghost Ship. What a beer.

Latest posts

Back