corking and what type corks?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
Yet a other question can I ask you what sort of corks you use for your wine bottles please.I have tried both sorts the ones that you soak and the other ones that seem to have a coating on them that you do not have to soak. I seem to be having problems with both sorts. With the coated ones once I have put them in leave for a few seconds they seem to rise up again ( Is this due to me having to much wine in the bottle like to far up the neck) The other one are the ones you soak they seem to go in fine and not leave the dimple mark but seem when opening the bottle the corks seem to break up. As you guys know I am very new to this wine making I was just wondering what type you guys use and any tricks in this corking thingy

Yet a other question can I ask you what sort of corks you use for your wine bottles please.I have tried both sorts the ones that you soak and the other ones that seem to have a coating on them that you do not have to soak. I seem to be having problems with both sorts. With the coated ones once I have put them in leave for a few seconds they seem to rise up again ( Is this due to me having to much wine in the bottle like to far up the neck) The other one are the ones you soak they seem to go in fine and not leave the dimple mark but seem when opening the bottle the corks seem to break up. As you guys know I am very new to this wine making I was just wondering what type you guys use and any tricks in this corking thingy

We all get those problems and more. Started using synthetic corks and get the dimple and being pushed up out of bottle, same with corks but i've been getting mold infections from a large batch of corks I used last year, so have been wary about buying a lot of corks. The dimple is simply the pin on the corker, I havent come across a corker that has a flush pin the cork diameter ratio, maybe you could solder or weld one on to the pin. Alternatively some wadding above the cork so that the pin doesn't make direct contact with the cork.

I remember many years ago when i used to make wine having the problems with corks being pressed back out, this is due to the air being pressurised against the wine. The way i overcame this was to use a thin piece of sterilised SS wire tied around a piece of dowel. Slide this into the bottle against the bottle and cork, press in the cork and then whilst holding cork slowly pull the wire out. The effect of this is to relieve the compressed air below the cork. Never had a cork being forced out using this method.

The Novatwist caps that fit on screwtop wine bottles are one of the best things I've come across in home brewing. Not sure I'd ever bother with corks again.

The Novatwist caps that fit on screwtop wine bottles are one of the best things I've come across in home brewing. Not sure I'd ever bother with corks again.

I have never used corks and have used novatwist caps for many months and rate them highly.

check the diameter of your corked win bottle neck if they are rising, I use a plastic stopper i have as a guide. There are various sizes.

'Most' bottles i have to properly whack it in, these are 'good' bottles.
Some i can press it home lightly, i bin these.
Some it presses home with no pressure at all (JP Chenez bottles for example), I bin these to.

You can buy various cork sizes, but in the UK/Online, they are all one size and I gave up searching for bigger ones which is a shame as I love the bendy neck JP Chenez bottles i got in France.

as for crumbly corks, avoid anything from wilkos - i got mine (coated) from my LBS and they are fine so far - popped a few after 6 months and no problems. I've just bought 30 from creative and I'm not actually sure if they are coated and need soaking, I'm using ten tomorrow so will check now (EDIT - they dont need soaking, 30 for £2.99)

Al

check the diameter of your corked win bottle neck if they are rising, I use a plastic stopper i have as a guide. There are various sizes.

'Most' bottles i have to properly whack it in, these are 'good' bottles.
Some i can press it home lightly, i bin these.
Some it presses home with no pressure at all (JP Chenez bottles for example), I bin these to.

You can buy various cork sizes, but in the UK/Online, they are all one size and I gave up searching for bigger ones which is a shame as I love the bendy neck JP Chenez bottles i got in France.

as for crumbly corks, avoid anything from wilkos - i got mine (coated) from my LBS and they are fine so far - popped a few after 6 months and no problems. I've just bought 30 from creative and I'm not actually sure if they are coated and need soaking, I'm using ten tomorrow so will check now (EDIT - they dont need soaking, 30 for �£2.99)

Al
You can get 22, 23 & 24 mm corks synthetic and normal you just have to search a lot. The bottle opening diameter varies with make to make, I have lots of eclectic bottles most are ok but even from same wine batch they seem to vary.

I have had trouble with corks from different places and different types and found the best solution if to only put them in 2/3rd of the way.

You can get 22, 23 & 24 mm corks synthetic and normal you just have to search a lot. The bottle opening diameter varies with make to make, I have lots of eclectic bottles most are ok but even from same wine batch they seem to vary.

these are what I need, #10 sized straight corks, but still can't find them in the UK. (25.4 mm). I only need x6 so probably not worth any more effort finding them :doh:

http://eckraus.com/10-superior-grade-straight-corks-12/

#8 = 7/8 inches
#9 = 15/16 inches
#10 = 1 inch

If you buy straight corks in the UK, the size I presume is number 9, as the measurements aren't often even listed ?

Hi there. I'm wondering if the novatwist caps will fit on unusual shaped bottles?

I have a load of old glass water bottles that are red and blue, they have wider necks than most wine bottles and are screw top but a lot of the screw tops are not reusable. Trying to work out how to seal them ready for the next batch!

I've had problems with the shrink capsules not being big enough before.

We all get those problems and more. Started using synthetic corks and get the dimple and being pushed up out of bottle, same with corks but i've been getting mold infections from a large batch of corks I used last year, so have been wary about buying a lot of corks. The dimple is simply the pin on the corker, I havent come across a corker that has a flush pin the cork diameter ratio, maybe you could solder or weld one on to the pin. Alternatively some wadding above the cork so that the pin doesn't make direct contact with the cork.

not tried this just a light bulb moment a coin that just about fits the cork diametr might do the job as I said I have not tried this so await somebody reporting back

Hi there. I'm wondering if the novatwist caps will fit on unusual shaped bottles?

I have a load of old glass water bottles that are red and blue, they have wider necks than most wine bottles and are screw top but a lot of the screw tops are not reusable. Trying to work out how to seal them ready for the next batch!

I've had problems with the shrink capsules not being big enough before.

Not really, just normal screw top wine bottles, if the necks of the bottles are wider then they almost certainly won't be any good.

Back