Fig wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomme homme

Regular.
Reaction score
Has anyone made fig wine? Our fig tree (Brown Turkey) produces far more fruit that we can eat, freeze, bottle or use to make jam and chutney. Thus wine occurs to me as a way to use the figs in large quantities. Has anyone else tried? If so, what recipes did they follow and what were the results?

Having talked to a friend whose family originates from Morocco, and learnt how they use figs there to produce an alcoholic beverage, I've now abandoned the idea of fig wine.

Tempting providence here perhaps but as I understand it, you can refer to distillation providing there is no mention of how to do it.
I applied to HMRC for a licence to distil. This was their written and signed reply:
' Thank you for your application for a Distillers Licence. Can you please confirm the size of the proposed still? Please note that a distillers licence is not required if the proposed still to be used has a capacity below 18 hectolitres and if the distillation of spirits is for personal use only.'
18 hectolitres is 400 gallons! In other words, they are only interested in the duty payable and any fine for the civil (not criminal) offence is the duty payable.

Ooh, you do like living dangerously, Tony. And you're braver than me! But if it's legal to operate a still of less than 1800 litres capacity in the UK without obtaining a licence, so long as one pays the duty on the volume of spirit distilled, why does this forum get so hot under the collar about people discussing distillation? I'd be very interested to have input from one of the moderators because, I'm sure, they must have obtained a definitive statement from HMRC, presumably that home distillation in the UK is illegal per se, before adopting a policy which slaps down anyone who tries to discuss the topic. I could continue on the subject but, out of respect, I'll refrain from doing so until a moderator has stated the forum's policy on the topic.

The old 'black-coated workers'! Actually, I have used prune juice as a winemaking ingredient, without noticing any laxative effect, but I can't say the wine was impressive either.

Latest posts

Back