White wine problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmy

Reaction score
Hi,
I have recently started to brew a white wine made from fresh grapes but the colour it has turned out to be rather less than attractive as it is a dull brown! Can anybody suggest how I can change the colour to a more acceptable white wine one?
Many thanks
Timmy

This is quite normal in the early stages and usually clears to yellow. If not, try a teaspoon of citric acid and a campden tablet per gallon. If this fails try adding a small amount of semi-skimmed milk to a glass of the wine and see what happens. It contains casein, which de-colours the wine. The milk settles to the bottom and is easily removed by siphoning off the clear wine.

Worth a try as it can be suspended solids that settle out with time and/or fining agents. However some grapes are very prone to a type of spoilage called oxidation (often when pressing) which can largely be prevented with fairly low doses of sulphites (like half a campden tablet) being added at the crush, before pressing. Oxidised wines are a browner colour and the finished product lacks freshness, some describe a 'wet cardboard' smell. I'd only try the citric acid and campden method if you've already tried finings and are still unhappy.

Over-oxidised white wine tends to be darker with a 'sherry' like flavour. Also, a failure to remove the fine pulp which settles in the juice after pressing can affect both colour and flavour.

Back