Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire Home Brew Club

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodor

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying to arrange something monthly-ish an was wondering if anyone would be interested?

There was a meeting every 2 months at the talbot tap house in Ripley but for various reasons this has died off.

It will probably start off fairly informal (bring a bottle of your most recent brew, share it out and tell us about the brew day sort of thing) and if the interest is there we can move forward from there.

Not sure yet about a venue but the owner of the talbot in Ripley seems interested unless anyone has any other ideas?

If you're interested let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

I'd be interested in meeting other home brewers in the Derbyshire area (i'm in West Hallam). I've come back to brewing after a very long layoff, and how the kits have come on! Generally, I now use extract kits and I've been really impressed with the quality. I intend to progress to AG brewing shortly, possibly using a Braumeister or a Grainfather. It'd be really helpful to have some like minded people to talk to.

Hi,

I'd be interested in meeting other home brewers in the Derbyshire area (i'm in West Hallam). I've come back to brewing after a very long layoff, and how the kits have come on! Generally, I now use extract kits and I've been really impressed with the quality. I intend to progress to AG brewing shortly, possibly using a Braumeister or a Grainfather. It'd be really helpful to have some like minded people to talk to.

Hi Fletch
I am in East Leake and use a Braumeister. I have done 9 brews so far. Some very good and some not good at all. Still lessons to learn.

I have seen the videos on the new Grainfather. Certainly a good price but I still think my BM was the right choice for me. I am looking at buying the SS hood so I can direct the steam out the window. A 90 minute boil produces alot of steam and her kitchen can't take any more.

Be interested to here which you decide on.

Rob.

Good to hear from you Rob. I too had trouble with the other half complaining about steam and water spillage in the kitchen so I took the only course of action possible; I built a brewery in the garage! Every bloke needs a man-shed anyway, but it means I can brew whenever it suits me, which is brilliant. It's a bit short on room which is why I'm considering a one pot brewing system rather than separate vessels.

Were the failures you had in any way the fault of the Braumeister or was it something else that went wrong? Interested also in why you consider The BM to be the right choice especially given that it's more than double the price of the Grainfather. What would you say are the important differences between the two machines?

Cheers

Hi Fletch.

I am still trying to fathom out the reasons for the failures. None of them are because of the BM. It was problems with a vinegar taste to the beer. I purchased a pH meter because I thought that might be it. I have also switched from vials to dried yeast. The first brew with dried came up short like with the liquid yeast so I have now tried two packs and have yet to taste the results.

It is a few weeks since I looked at the GF video but I would say the good points in favour of the BM for me would be the fully computer controlled operation (the GF may soon offer the same), that is pre-programing the mash schedule steps and temperatures etc, the BM pumps up through the grain with pump breaks every so often which I think works better than the flow from the top which the GF does, and the BM is more compact without the external plumbing that needs connecting up and disconnecting during the various stages. I admit the BM is harder to clean because of the exposed heating element but I am working on that (trying Oxyclean, three scoops at 60deg seems to be doing a better job). I have the insulating jacket which I think works well but the GF has the wort pumped up externally. This may be a problem if you are brewing in a cold room especially if you are trying to make a full bodied beer with a mash temp of 68deg say.

I hope I have gone some way to answer you questions
Rob,

Thanks Rob, very helpful. If the Grainfather is likely to be further developed I might hang on a while before I decide which one to buy. I have a 'significant' birthday coming up next August so that's when I'm likely to make the investment.

Does anyone know any more about planned refinements for the Grainfather?

Neil

I'm in beeston currently , and would be willing to come out to things occasionally and bring a bottle along (I'll be driving so cant do too much in the way of tasting however!)

I'm near lenton. It would be good to meet somewhere with a good transport link so that sampling could take place

I'm near lenton. It would be good to meet somewhere with a good transport link so that sampling could take place

Just wondering dave, but I dont suppose you Kayak? As I happen to know someone by the same name who is a regular at the whitewater course the other side of nottingham.

Antony

Just wondering dave, but I dont suppose you Kayak? As I happen to know someone by the same name who is a regular at the whitewater course the other side of nottingham.

Antony

Yarp, that would be me then :-) I don't know if I know you though?

The Nottingham Brewers' Group meet up every month. We're a group of homebrewers (on Facebook here) and we meet up every month to sample each other's beer and have a chat.

Short notice I know, but the next meetup is on Friday at the Totally Brewed brewery in the fruit & veg market. Bring a bottle along if you like!

Latest posts

Back