newbie help with fruit tea wine ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdg

Reaction score
Hi guys, been reading with intrest the thread on fruit tea wine , can you help me though as a real novice, I cant find white grape juice but have some bottles of WGC from wilko that I picked up while they where 20% off, how many of these would I need to use, or could I use a mix of this and aldis red grape juice ?? got the fruit tea bags, but no clue what quantities of sugar ect I need , can you help please x

Everything you need to know about making t bag wine is here, ive made quite a lot using this method and only had good results

1 Box (20) Fruit 'Tea Bags'
2 litres Grape Juice
2lbs sugar (or thereabouts)
1tsp Citric Acid
1/2tsp Grape Tannin
GP Yeast & Nutrient

I've used 1 box Twinings Cranberry, Raspberry & Elderflower bags and Sainsbury's 100% Pure Pressed Red Grape Juice (not from concentrate, no preservatives, 3 for £2) but you could use any fruit infusions bags and red or white grape juice as appropriate.

Infuse the bags for 30 minutes in 2 pints boiling water.
Boil 2lbs sugar (or thereabouts) in 1 pint water.
I measured the SG of the grape juice at 1.068 and calculated that 1lb 12ozs sugar would give an OG of 1.110, and have read somewhere that boiling the sugar inverts it and makes it more fermentable.
Wring the bags out as best you can without splitting them and pour infusion liquor and sugar syrup into a bucket, add grape juice, allow to cool, add Citric, Tannin, Nutrient and Yeast and let it rip. After the initial whoosh has subsided, pour into a DJ and make up to 1 gallon.

Dead easy, and I cost that at around £3.50 per gallon or 60p a bottle at around 13% ABV.

Hi Alex,

I've made a couple of batches of berry tea-bag wine using no grape juice and it came out great:

Demijohn:
x10 tea-bags (PG Juicy Red Berries)
1KG of sugar
Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
yeast nutrient
x2 tsp lemon juice

Came out fine, wife, daughters and friends all loved it. Bit 'alcopopy' rather than wine like though :-/

still clearing so haven't tried them yet, but smell nice ! so how many of the bottles of white grape concentrate would I need ? as would like a rose type wine at the end :)

thanks Baggy, I like alco pops so will try that ! so just fill the demi john with water then?? I guess I could bung in some apple juice ????

p.s my spare bedroom is now off limits to all but me ~( husband calls it my witches cave due to all the things bubbling in there ), the snakes vivarium keeps it at the perfect temp for brewing :) he seems to enjoy the wine fumes as well lol

I guess you could swap out some of the water for apple juice. This would likely up the abv some more and maybe give it a bit more mouth feel? Only one way to find out :D

Here's the original recipe I used - think I spotted it on some money saving forum a while back...

----------------------------
Teabag Wine
8 x fruit teabags of choice, 1.25kg sugar, 1 teaspoon yeast, 1 teaspoon nutrient, 2tsps lemon juice.

Pour boiling water onto teabags and sugar in a large jug and leave until lukewarm.

Discard bags and pour liquid into a demijohn.

Top up with water to the 'shoulder' of the demijohn.

Add yeast and nutrient. Fit a suitable airlock - and away you go!

I've made this a few time with various tea-bags (including builders tea and Earl Grey) - but the red-fruit bags ones always produce the nicest looking wine though! Supposedly around 10%abv, and should be ready in three weeks - though does get better if you can leave it longer to mature slightly

thanks baggy will give it a whirl worse case I can bung it in a punch at Christmas :)

I've just bought all the t-bags and sugar to put on a 23L batch of this for Xmas. I won't be adding any juice or extras to mine as I know they love it as it was.

After my success with the berry t-bag wine, I made a large batch of fruit wine using a mix of real berries and fruit juice (Dragonblood variant).

They all said the first batch (the t-bags) was so much better :shock: <gutted>

For the rose type wine...

I made a demijohn of this at the same time. I used 1 full bottle of Wilkos concentrated grape juice, 1KG of sugar and Asda 'Grape, Raspberry & Pomegranate' juice. Plus the usual extras (yeast/nutrient/lemon).

Came out a lovely pink colour. I'm not a rose fan but was told it was as good as any shop bought rose.

I'm guessing if you use Aldi's red grape juice and your WGC you'll get similar results.

thank you so much baggy, have got the hubby making holes in the top of gallon water carriers for more demi johns as we speak :) x

one last question baggy , by a full bottle do you mean the 220 gram small £3 bottle ?

Back