Anyone have a good guide to the different types of hops ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubsaxon

Brew student
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I'm getting in to my home brew now and I've been trying to understand what the different types of hops are and what different flavours, brews, etc the different varieties are suited to ...
A quick look on Ebay shows a wide variety of them - challenger, saaz, chinook, etc, etc ... is there a good resource online or a thread to better understand what is for what, how much to use, flavour profiles, etc ? I am looking at dry hoping my brews at the moment during fermentation ..
Any good info for dry hop beginner would be much appreciated

Brilliant, thanks BP. I notice you have a hoppy pilsner on the go. My next brew is going to be Wilco delicate pilsner and the reason I want to find out about dry hoping is to make this brew a nice citrus aroma / flavour. I was thinking about dry hoping 40g of Citra ? What do you think ?

Cheers

My next brew is going to be Wilco delicate pilsner and the reason I want to find out about dry hoping is to make this brew a nice citrus aroma / flavour. I was thinking about dry hoping 40g of Citra ? What do you think ?

You could, but personally I'd dry hop a Pilsner with Saaz or Hallertau, which are traditional lager-type hops. Citra goes more with beer IMHO - maybe get the Wilco golden ale kit next and do that with the Citra?

You could, but personally I'd dry hop a Pilsner with Saaz or Hallertau, which are traditional lager-type hops. Citra goes more with beer IMHO - maybe get the Wilco golden ale kit next and do that with the Citra?

Thanks Darrel, I'll maybe keep my Citra for my next ale brew. 40g of Saaz, is that about the correct amount ? Would I put this in to the wort in a muslin bag before adding the yeast ?

thanks

In my pilsner we stuck to traditional hops but really like tettnanger and did like a punch of citrus with ahtanum.

Latest posts

Back