Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a newbie and reading the reviews this is going to be my next kit 100%. Would it be ok to bottle in the plastic PET bottles??

Sure should, I currently have 24 grolsch style glass bottles and 24 coopers pet bottles, will bottling mine today!!

Hi All

Pretty new to the homebrew thing and have just bought the coopers stout kit and, having read a few of the posts, going to do it with 500g muscovado sugar, tin of black treacle, malt extract if i can get hold of some and 500g of spray malt left from me last lot. Does this sound too much?

Should i only use the yeast supplied or add more? Was wondering what effct adding more would have? All responses greatly appreciated as its a steep learing curve!

Hi Lee,
I've got one of these on the go right now, began last Saturday night.
Used 500g dark DME, 500g dark muscovado sugar and 500g lactose.
SG was 1.049.
The airlock started gurgling on the Sunday afternoon, by Monday it was popping every second. I will leave it until its had 2 weeks in the FV then check the gravity.
Should be ready by Christmas, if I can wait that long.....

Hi all,I've just made my first batch of beer ever! I made this kit with 1kg brew sugar,500g of enhancer and 454g of treacle. SG 1056 and made up to 22ltr.
Sat it in the bath last night and top is ballooning nicely with a huge monkey brain,not bad as its only been going 12hrs.
Do you think this will be ok for my first attempt?

Hi all,I've just made my first batch of beer ever! I made this kit with 1kg brew sugar,500g of enhancer and 454g of treacle. SG 1056 and made up to 22ltr.
Sat it in the bath last night and top is ballooning nicely with a huge monkey brain,not bad as its only been going 12hrs.
Do you think this will be ok for my first attempt?

Yes, this kit is pretty much bomb proof.

Hope you like the taste of treacle. 200g is plenty, but no-one on here ever complained that they added too much.

Tastes mine on weekend after 2 weeks in warm spot. Really nice actually more tasty than Guinness to not as creamy like heavy which is better in some ways.
Imagine adding treacle in place of normal sugar will do wonders!
Next time can i just swap white brew sugar for brown or muscadava sugar? (spelling lol)

Tastes mine on weekend after 2 weeks in warm spot. Really nice actually more tasty than Guinness to not as creamy like heavy which is better in some ways.
Imagine adding treacle in place of normal sugar will do wonders!
Next time can i just swap white brew sugar for brown or muscadava sugar? (spelling lol)

Yes - replacing any amount of white with brown will work. I agree that this kit tastes better than Guinness. :hat:

In the space of three days this brew has gone from 1070 to 1020 (6.6%). Does that seem...normal?!

There hasn't been a shed load of Krausen, either. It has been glugging away at the airlock and definitely foaming but not to the extent that I would expect it to have nearly fermented out in such a short space of time.

Having said that: I did rehydrate the yeast and the wort has been at a steady 22C.

Just started mine off
1kg of med spray malt and 7oog of golden syrup
SG1064 and brewing short at 20litres

uploadfromtaptalk1415825118065.jpg

Just put this on using 1kg brew enhancer, 500gr dark muscavado sugar and half a tin of black treacle brewed to 20l. Dont know if above amounts are ok but Smells amazing so can't wait till it's ready.

image.jpg

My SG was 1064
Just given airlock a 2nd clean out and noticed a big splodge of foam on kitchen ceiling. Good job she who must be obeyed is not in

No cleaned just cleaned it up. I picked this fv to give it as much head as poss. Still not enough. Next time will put a freezer bag over airlock to catch any big eruptions. Though it was not as bad as I was expecting.
After reading posts on how wild it can go

Just been in my brew cave aka shed. Spotted an old item I had from a while ago when I used to do sprit kits
A bottle of rum essence.
Think I might try doing a batch next
Using med spay malt , black treacle and a bottle of rum essence.

Latest posts

Back