Swift Bitter - ESB/Pale Ale - 1.050 - 36 IBU

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get a good stock strong bitter/pale ale out of this. It's a classic Challenger and Goldings combination, it's coming to the end of fermentation at the moment, I'll post a picture when it's ready.

50L
OG 1.050 (70% bhe)
IBU ~36
67 degree mash 60 mins
60 min boil
Fermenting with s04

9.80 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter 87%
0.90 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt 8%
0.56 kg Torrified Wheat (3.3 EBC) Grain 4.98 %
100gm Challenger [7.00 %] (60 min) 31 IBU
35gm Challenger [7.00 %] (15 min) 5 IBU
70gm Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (steeped for 15 mins at 80 degrees)

This has turned out to be a cracker :cool:

Really good mouthfeel, the crystal is there but not overpowering, the challenger and goldings work great together.

02082008757.jpg

Sounds perfect the Wez.... I assume its the photo but I could swear there is a touch of haze in there :whistle: :lol:

Challenger and goldings are made for each other, I may have a stab at your recipe in a couple of batches time, I have a Nelson Sauvigne(sp?) and another cascade beer to do first, plus another mild. I have friends to cater for at the end of september, and I'm away for the middle of august on a job. :roll:

:lol: :lol: Correct, that's a haze you see there, quite a bad one, that pint was very cold, due to a fridge cock-up :oops: at 12 degrees it's better but still a haze there, had this problem since going up to 50L :hmm: experimenting with different cold store / finings at the moment :roll:

All part of the game :lol:

Blindfolds on, it's lovely :cheers:

Have a chat to AT or MEB on the Nelsons, I believe both of those guys are well versed in it's merits! AT was so keen that I should try them that he's posted me over some from Ireland :grin:

forum recipe perhaps, with the Nelsons? :hmm:

Its a hop I really want to play with and yet, I'm not sure whether to do a straight pale or go for more of a add some darker malts.

I'm going to follow the lead with the NS I think, Hopefully if AT spots this he'll post his NS recipe that he swears by ;)

Wez said:
Blindfolds on, it's lovely :cheers:

Thats all that matters, anything else is a tad annoying.

I take it now you have scaled up you have to go through a fault finding process again :roll: could it be down to a uneven temp within the MT? Just a thought.

Yeah, basically back to the start with fault finding :roll: MT temp seems to maintain quite constant throughout, my current thinking is my boil, i'm wondering if i'm getting the same vigorous boil in 60L that I did with 30L :hmm:

I cracked it on the old system, Crash Cool, AF and IG star bright every time.

I'll get there again :cool:

The most important thing I think on forums like this is to tell everyone where you're struggling, thats where you get the ideas to help you sort it out.

Hmm, Time for a 'Haze' thread :clap:

Perhaps up your boil and mash times to 90mins and see if that makes a difference.

Have you changed you Pale malt for this batch?

As you say perhaps time for a HAZE thread, its just gotta be found with good ole fashioned fault finding :P

90 mins is the way to go I think at first, this batch had the same post ferment treatment that my 25L bright beers had so it has to be something in the process pre ferment. All ingredients are the same.

Tell you what tho, it's bloody lovely :drink:

Nelson Sauvin is the god of hops :pray: I love them, personally i would only ever use them in something pale but that's just me :hmm:

Pale ale it will be AT :cheers:

So late additions how heavy handed should I be?

Mate although they're a high alpha hop they'll let you away with murder. The bitterness they bring to a beer is very smooth and they mellow very fast. I can't get enough of them but if you never used them before it's probably safer to be conservative first time as they are quite different to any hop i ever used and just because i love them as much as i do it doesn't go to say you will. I'll be very interested to hear what you say about them after, i'm months trying to get Wez to lob that pack i sent him into a brew :lol:

I found a couple of Brupaks 100g bags the last time I was in a HBS in the UK.

Looking forward to trying them, I have never heard anyone have a bad word about them. hmmmm tomorrow perhaps :hmm:

Haze doesn't bother me. You'll find that it'll go away Wez i reckon. As soon as your all familiar with your bigger batch size. Plus haze isn't an issue unless your selling your beer or entering it into comps. :|

Onto the Nelson Sauvin hops reference. :grin: I love these hops. I use them in nearly all of my 'hoppy' beers. They are easy to overuse/abuse. Which isn't a problem really. It just means more maturation time. Which enhances the bouquet you'll be so pleased with. They give a nice floral aroma and have hints of vanilla and stone fruits in my beers. Especially when coupled with Thames valley yeast in a strong IPA. ;) I use them in 50g additions to 25L as a steep hop to many of my beers because they add such a wonderful aroma-the longer you mature the beer the more complex the flavours are. I can't drink a beer when these have been used utill it's past the 3 weeks period. It tastes a bit funny then.
Ross at Craftbrewer has a great Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale recipe on his site but it needs 4 weeks maturation before sampling. It's quite amazing after 6 weeks. I have no idea how great it would be after 8 weeks or more as mine run out. :(

If you haven't tried these hops before then you must try them now. :grin:

Morning Frisp :)

Essentially yes halve everything for a 5 gallon batch :cool: , my recipe is based on 70% brew house efficiency so if yours is different your final OG may be slightly different.

Wez

Morning Wez.
I do like the look of this. I keep jumping from recipe to recipe for my First Ag.

Must dash In drilling a squilion holes an a plate at the mo. Sick of it to say the least.

If you do brew this as your first AG 70% efficiency is probably about right, I doubt that you will end up lower that 70% if you do the worst that will happen is that you end up with something around 4.5% or if you go higher you'll have a stronger beer something around 5.5%

Good luck with the drilling ;)

Latest posts

Back