Can I bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superspudking

Reaction score
Hi guys

Iv been interested in home brewing for a while but always put it off due to lack of time or money. I come across a cheap kit an a carboot so decides to snap it up.
My kit is 25l fermenting bucket, plastic pressure barrel with tap, hydrometer, sample tube, clear flexi pipe, sterilizer

My intention was to bottle from a beer kit. However I think I may have the wrong equipment for this. Can I do either of the following?

Replace the valve on top of the pressure barrel with an airlock, ferment in the barrel and bottle from that?

Add a tap and airlock to the fermenting bucket?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi there.
First off, you've made a good choice in attempting to start your own beer making process. Like many of us here, a curiosity soon turns into obsession so be prepared! Your lack of money will soon turn into very cheap pints so dont worry about that bit.

You should ferment in your bucket, as long as it has a lid. You dont need a tap on it or an airlock, they are just added bonuses if you have them. Once you've mixed your LME (liquid malt extract) with boiled water and topped up with cold, sprinkle yeast on top and put the lid on (dont snap it shut - this will naturally let the co2 out when pressure build up). Having an airlock really shows when fermentation has started/stopped. If you leave a brew on for 14 days, chances are its done. You say you have a hydrometer so when you take a reading and its around or below 1010 you know you can bottle/keg.

You can add a tap to the bucket but as mentioned, you dont need to. I dont have taps on mine. Syphoning is just fine (that'll be your clear flexi pipe). There's plenty of how to's in the FAQ so just jump straight in. One thing you dont mention though is sterilising. This is very important so I suggest you get yourself some VWP of starsan or similar as its vital to be clean!

Good Luck :clap:

Latest posts

Back