Bottles from a pub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickie

Reaction score
A few years back (4-5) I picked up approx 100 brown bottles from a local pub cleaned then took the labels off etc...

Free!

I'm trying to convince a friend he should try the same.

Please contribute if you think it's a good shout, have you done the same?

I've asked at a couple of pubs locally if I could root through their bins. They thought I was insane but told me to go for it. Now all my cider is in Koppaberg bottles from the local. :thumb:

I own 2 pubs and have used all the bottles for my first brew, have not tried it yet though 😬

Did a little research also and as long as there sterilised properly and not chipped there perfect

I used to work at a place which had a small bar built into it. They mostly sold bottles and had 4 taps, so most people bought bottles. I would keep all the bottles, take them home and wash them out and use them for my brews. That was great, I had one shift a week and collected enough bottles for a batch.

I've also gone round pubs asking for empties, however the area of NW London I used to live in, there weren't a lot of bottle drinkers and only got a couple of bottles each night. I also save bottles when I'm out drinking sometimes. If there's 4 or 5 of us getting a few rounds, it adds up.

Bottles are the most expensive "ingredient", I'm always looking for ways to get them in bulk, preferably without paying.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm saying, my old local saved a few bin bags of bottles out the back. I just picked them up threw out the chipped ones, washed them, sterilised them bish bash bosh

always worth an ask you may hit paydirt and get crates too, it can happen if the suppliers dont pick em up.. depending on the pub they may also have sour stinking polypins waiting for the bins too.

these days they will probably be kinder to home brewers than when the OP went asking these days any customer is worthy of enticing back...

just dont tell us if you find polykegs crushed ready for recycling,,

I was out walking around town on the first recycle collection day after Xmas/New Year. Wow. If you wanted bottles, wine, cider, beer, whatever you like, they were just overflowing all over the pavements!

Latest posts

Back