Recommend a Thermometer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r-evans

Reaction score
Looking for a good digital thermometer, as cheap as possible but still want something that'll last.

Ideally one with the probe on a wire as I plan to store my FV inside my mash tun to help keep a constant temp, with the probe in there too and the display outside so I can see it.

I have a spare still blister packed meat thermometer with similar features, wireless probe however, its display is populated with meat related graphics and it has meat specific timer features for cooking x kilos of Y meat etc
brought to my attention for its �£15 sale price at the time if not in here in a similar forum. i bought 2 and was unimpressed somewhat put off by its MEAT centric display and im no veggie i enjoy kebabs and bacon butties,,

if of interest to u i can snap a pic or 2 and u can google it id be happy to pass on the new one without profit or loss.

For a standard attached probe thermometer, ETI Thermapens are hard to beat for accuracy and speed to zero in on a final reading. AND EASE OF READING nice big clear lcd display, reconditioned factory refurb/returns can be found on ebay for circa �£25 iirc

however the �£2-�£3 ebay standard basic pen thermometers with didy unlit lcd displays ive bought while being slow to read a temperature (30 seconds+ 1 degree steps at a time..) have all finally read within 1C of my thermapen, that is when the lights just right and you can read em.. but my eyes are old..

Personally I would say just get an Inkbird. It has the thermometer on a wired probe and can control the heating and cooling for a constant temperature. In my opinion its a no brainer, even if its about £30 depending on which model you get.

I've got a STC 1000 (you can get them for under a tenner) that you have to wire up yourself but by the time youve paid for a box to wire it into, cables, plugs, etc it really isnt a lot cheaper than an inkbird anyway. I'd definitely recommend the ready made Inkbird instead, there are plenty of threads on here about temperature controllers. If you go that route you could easily add a cheap heat source, some on here have reptile/aquarium types, again lots of threads on here. The only thing I would say is if its too well insulated you may find it gets too hot. I have a heat belt controlled to come on when the temperature drops. It sits under a blanket in my garage and even when it drops below freezing outside it maintains the temperature really well. Overheating is not a problem at this time of year. I also have a larder fridge (free from freecycle) that I will be setting up to add cooling for the summer, which will give me heating and cooling controlled by the temperature controller.

Personally I would say just get an Inkbird. It has the thermometer on a wired probe and can control the heating and cooling for a constant temperature. In my opinion its a no brainer, even if its about ��£30 depending on which model you get.

I've got a STC 1000 (you can get them for under a tenner) that you have to wire up yourself but by the time youve paid for a box to wire it into, cables, plugs, etc it really isnt a lot cheaper than an inkbird anyway. I'd definitely recommend the ready made Inkbird instead, there are plenty of threads on here about temperature controllers. If you go that route you could easily add a cheap heat source, some on here have reptile/aquarium types, again lots of threads on here. The only thing I would say is if its too well insulated you may find it gets too hot. I have a heat belt controlled to come on when the temperature drops. It sits under a blanket in my garage and even when it drops below freezing outside it maintains the temperature really well. Overheating is not a problem at this time of year. I also have a larder fridge (free from freecycle) that I will be setting up to add cooling for the summer, which will give me heating and cooling controlled by the temperature controller.

This idea actually just came to me this morning too, I will probably get a heat mat at some point and plan to get a fridge at some point so it makes sense.

:doh::thumb:

I have a spare still blister packed meat thermometer with similar features, wireless probe however, its display is populated with meat related graphics and it has meat specific timer features for cooking x kilos of Y meat etc
brought to my attention for its ��£15 sale price at the time if not in here in a similar forum. i bought 2 and was unimpressed somewhat put off by its MEAT centric display and im no veggie i enjoy kebabs and bacon butties,,

if of interest to u i can snap a pic or 2 and u can google it id be happy to pass on the new one without profit or loss.

For a standard attached probe thermometer, ETI Thermapens are hard to beat for accuracy and speed to zero in on a final reading. AND EASE OF READING nice big clear lcd display, reconditioned factory refurb/returns can be found on ebay for circa ��£25 iirc

however the ��£2-��£3 ebay standard basic pen thermometers with didy unlit lcd displays ive bought while being slow to read a temperature (30 seconds+ 1 degree steps at a time..) have all finally read within 1C of my thermapen, that is when the lights just right and you can read em.. but my eyes are old..

Cheers but I think I've solved my problem.

Will probably grab a hand held one too so will check out the Thermapens :thumb:

Back