Fist Brew Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rampage

Reaction score
Hi All

Carried out first full mash brew yesterday, pitching yeast around 3pm. Placed an air lock in place but did not seal fermentation vessel, just put lid in place. This morning encountered very messy floor as the primary fermentation had lifted the vessel lid and spilled over. Took this as a good sign as it showed that the process was working! For most of the rest of the day there was obviously something happening as the pot was warm to the touch. However, since then there has been no bubbling through the airlock and things have gone very cool. I don't want to open the lid (firmly sealed since initial spillover) but I am concerned that the process has suddenly ceased. I plan to do first hydro reading in about ten days so am not in a panic, but is this normal behaviour for the brew?

Sounds all good. Some kick off really quick then calm down.
I put a porter on a week saturday gone , i must of missed something but by late sunday night, because looked flat as a pancake, residue around the sides, only about 1/2 inch of brown gunk. I did panic a bit, so took a reading on monday and it was down to 1.015 from 1.057. Whoosh. Anyway, haven't opened since, 10 days in and the lids are still bulging . So maybe leave a couple more days and take a reading. I think you'll be alright. Good luck.:thumb:

Did you take a Specific Gravity reading of the wort before you pitched the yeast?

Taking an original specific gravity (OG) enables you to monitor the progress of the fermentation.

From your description "warm to the touch" I think that there is a chance that the yeast has worked liked mad, raised the temperature of the wort and used up so much oxygen that it has now "stuck".

When a yeast "sticks" it is still active but has used up almost all of the available oxygen so that it can't work efficiently.

I therefore suggest that you:

1. Take a Specific Gravity reading:

a) If the SG is at or below 1.010 then the brew is about finished so just leave it for another week to make sure.

b) If the SG is above 1.010 then leave it alone for 24 hours and take a second SG.

2. When reading the second SG:

a) If the SG has fallen then the yeast is still active. The brew is still in progress so leave it alone for another week.

b) If the SG has remained the same then the yeast has "stuck".

3. If the yeast has "stuck" I recommend that you give the brew a violent stir ("Beat it as if it owed you money!" was one bit of advice I have seen), add a teaspoonful of yeast nutrient, put the lid back on and wait for results.

4. If nothing happens 24 hours after Step 3. then take another SG and if it has remained the same, repeat Step 3 but at the same time add another packet of yeast.

If nothing happens after that please get back to us.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

fresh well mashed extracted simple malt sugars can ferment like a rocket ;) the brew may come close to final gravity in a few days, if so it may still be beneficial to leave in the FV for at least a week both to help clarity allowing more time to drop as much sediment as possible and also to let the yeast finish up all the remaining sugars so when you prime in the bottle or PB you will get the condition level your after..

check the yeast pack for the range of temps its happy within, as long as your within the range of your yeast it will still ferment all be it not as vigourosly as long as there is food available.

bucket lilds are notorious for not sealing 100% when used with an airlock as the co2 will find the easiest path of least resistance on its way out and the water in the airlock trap can present a 'too much hard work' exit ;)

as said above only gravity readings can tell you whats really going on..

bet the brew will be a grand pint..

Hi Dutto & Fil - thanks for replying.

SG pre-yeast pitch was around 1.050. Current gravity is very slightly below 1.020. I shall take another reading tomorrow as you suggest. I assume I should leave lid fastened and air lock in place?

Hi Dutto & Fil - thanks for replying.

SG pre-yeast pitch was around 1.050. Current gravity is very slightly below 1.020. I shall take another reading tomorrow as you suggest. I assume I should leave lid fastened and air lock in place?

Keep it covered and let it sit undisturbed as much as possible, it most likely went of like a rocket due to high pitching temp, as the temp drops the fermentation will slow, check it again on saturday, even if fermentation has stopped allowing time for sediment to drop out is a good thing and will do no harm.

Will do Chewie. I think there is still some activity as the FV walls are very slightly warmer than the empty pots. I have put some insulation around the FV to help things along as my brewhouse temperature is down to around 15C.

Update. Placed a radiator in the brewhouse and it is now a steady 20C. Took an SG reading today and it was 1.015 - target final SG is 1.013 so nearly there. I plan to leave it now for another week or so before transferring to a maturation/clarifying vessel. Smells great! Many thanks for everyone's help & advice.

Follow-up from earlier postings. My first brew turned out to be excellent. I let the beer mature for about 5 weeks before sampling and it was excellent. What with Christmas and demands from friends the whole batch (around 85 litres) has just about all gone. I have subsequently carried out another brew. The OG was 1058 - spot on target, and after 3 days was marginally above 1020. However, since then (7th fermentation day was yesterday) the SG has stubbornly stayed at 1020 (target 1015). There is still foam present on the surface so I think things are still active so I am inclined just to leave it for another week to see what happens. Brewhouse temp. is being controlled at 18-20C. Any thoughts?

Good to hear your first brew went well.
As far as your latest brew I would leave it for a few more days before deciding that it had really stuck.
But usual advice for stuck fermentations is to rouse the yeast (avoid introducing air) by stirring gently or swirling the FV and /or move it into a warmer place. You could also try repitching with fresh yeast, but because the sugars are now quite low that might not work.

always worth mentioning washing hydrometers in too hot water can melt the glue holding the grade tube static and make it susceptible to shifting up n down, always worth checking it reads 1.000 in water before you rely on a reading..

otherwise your doing everything i would and while beers can finish like clockwork in a stable temp they can also take their time its a living organism after all. if no movement next week perhaps a stir or rouse ;)

Thanks for feedback. Beer temp is now 19.8C compared to ambient 18.4C so it looks like there is still activity there. Will see what happens over the next few says.

Back