Can you get small HERMS coils and can they be used as chillers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshhales

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know of any small HERMS coils? The only ones I can find are 30cm in diameter but I'm doing small batches and my pots are only just 30cm.

Also, is it possible / a good idea to use the HTL as boil kettle and then circulate cold water through the HERMS coil to cool?

no problem at all using the herms coil as a chiller, you will need to leave room in the centre to get a paddle or spoon in to stir and move the hot beer over the cooler coil for an effective chill however.

as for the coil itself 10mm copper tube is easy to coil, for another project i coiled copper into a 50mm double coil (6.4mm tube..)
So simply buy the copper and make your own ;) tight corners and 90 degree bends for legs etc are best done using a brake pipe bending tool to avoid a kink.

coiling soft copper tube round a form is easy check out utubes etc..

soft copper tube comes in a coil and needs straightening before use anyway ;)

if you want stainless steel coils then the homebrewbuilder.co.uk is probably the best place to look and if you cant find what you want email Mark and ask him if it exists he can ptrobably supply it..

bes.co.uk sell 3m lengths of stainless steel tube which can be bent and formed without collapsing
but your talking 2 chaps, gaffer tape, a cylindrical traffic bollard embedded in the road, an extension bar and a lot of swearing..
Why herms tho if you dont mind me asking, cant you insulate your tun?

no problem at all using the herms coil as a chiller, you will need to leave room in the centre to get a paddle or spoon in to stir and move the hot beer over the cooler coil for an effective chill however.

as for the coil itself 10mm copper tube is easy to coil, for another project i coiled copper into a 50mm double coil (6.4mm tube..)
So simply buy the copper and make your own ;) tight corners and 90 degree bends for legs etc are best done using a brake pipe bending tool to avoid a kink.

coiling soft copper tube round a form is easy check out utubes etc..

soft copper tube comes in a coil and needs straightening before use anyway ;)

if you want stainless steel coils then the homebrewbuilder.co.uk is probably the best place to look and if you cant find what you want email Mark and ask him if it exists he can ptrobably supply it..

bes.co.uk sell 3m lengths of stainless steel tube which can be bent and formed without collapsing
but your talking 2 chaps, gaffer tape, a cylindrical traffic bollard embedded in the road, an extension bar and a lot of swearing..
Why herms tho if you dont mind me asking, cant you insulate your tun?

Wow thanks for the info. I do have a copper chiller at the moment so perhaps I can adapt for the purpose.

I'm not set on HERMS but I'd like try steps in my mash and to try to get a better efficiency.

I may also try a Grainfather style pot in pot as I already have a smaller stock pot that will fit inside my mash tun. I'm thinking to recirculate the wort and heat from the bottom.

Latest posts

Back