Cornelius setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolram

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm looking for an idiots guide with shopping list for a cornelius setup. Im having a problem with searches. It's for a keezer. Could somebody point me in the right direction.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A wee bit more info needed, are you wanting a multiple tap/keg system with varying gas pressures for different beer types or just a one size fits all?

Hi
What I'm thinking is 3 kegs and 3 taps. I presuming I'll need 3 regulators if I want different styles of beer. It will all be in a chest freezer with wooden collar with the taps poking through the wood.

Keg Kingdom were selling kegerator kits, but seem to have sold out. They do list the parts supplied though which made be a help: http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collect...tor-conversion-kit-triple?variant=11730274819

For regulators, this can control two kegs at different pressures - http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/kegging/216-two-keg-dual-gauge-gas-regulator.html

I've not seen any that can regulate three at different temperatures, but a simple John Guest line splitter (or a more elaborate gas distribution manifold) would mean you could have 2 kegs at one pressure and the third at another pressure.

You could also look for two taps with your 3rd keg always conditioning going with what YF says, or if you constantly want 3 on tap then look for a 4th keg for conditioning. If buying 2nd hand kegs look to get a spare washer kit.

Find out what size connections the beer taps will need and order the pipe and fittings to suit, you may well need 3/8th by 5/16th reducers, you will need a gas disconnect for each keg and a beer disconnect these can come with push on barb connectors or push fit adapters, best to use push fit.

If you are going to use 1 reg feeding 3 kegs without a gas manifold then you will need push fit tee's and probably best to fit shut of valves as well on each gas line.

HBC Manifold > http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/co2-distributor-3-way-w-14-barb-shutoff-p-2227.html

Thanks for the information guys. I have much more of an idea now. So would I be right in costing this at about £300 for a 2 keg 2tap setup plus a freezer?

Hi
What I'm thinking is 3 kegs and 3 taps. I presuming I'll need 3 regulators if I want different styles of beer. It will all be in a chest freezer with wooden collar with the taps poking through the wood.

this is my set up finished just before Christmas.

Essential items would be a freezer, Wooden collar, temp controller, CO2 cylinder, gas regulator, ball/pin lock quick disconnects, Beer line, Beer micro line, plenty of John guest fittings to connect up all the different size beer/gas line and taps. You can jazz it up a bit like I did by cladding in wood and putting on a beer tower.

You can get everything off e-bay except CO2. I had trouble sourcing CO2 that would fit in the keezer so I use a CO2 fire extinguisher with no problems noted and it costs 20 quid for a new 5 kg one so I am happy. Also ask your local pub for spare taps and beer line - I got some lovely commercial beer taps for nothing.

DSCF0052.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

ebay is where to get a bargain font/tap set up be patient and wait for something in your area as they are heavy and bulky items. Ex pub 2nd use bargains exist, branded fonts and taps will be the cheapest but with patience you should get something ideal eventually, my brass 4 tap font cost me £50 and a 50 mile round trip to collect..
dont be put off by a bit of grime, you will strip n clean and sanitise it before use anyway;)

kegs your looking at £35-£85 each (2nd use depending on condition..)

beer and gas line £15 will buy you more than enough to plumb up with enough for a re do left over, and again..

upto £30 or more on JG fittings, for a multi keg system with split gas lines and anti fobbing pressure reducing 3/16" microline lengths you start needing quite a few, plan your plumbing in advance and you may find it cheaper to buy a bag of 10x a fitting than 3x individual fittings..

basic welders regulator £30, just ensure its output dial is in psi and uses a readable gradient, with corny kegs you dont need a fancy brewers reg with a built in prv as each keg has its own prv fitted unlike the commercial sankey equivalents..

£25 for a 2ndary regulator if you want to serve at 2 different pressures, But will you If all beers are kept at the same temp they are going to be all conditioned fairly equally, my advice would be to fly without to begin with..

temp controller for fridge Circa £40 stc1000 + box or other

if the fridge needs heating at all £25 for a tube heater.. (only needed if ambient temps drop below the ideal beer serving temp)

£5 pc fan and dc power brick (keep air moving inside the fridge..)

If you use a freezer instead of a fridge just be aware they are not intended for use at temps above the freezing point of water and dont have any drain facility, so condensation can pool and if the foil surface of the insulation gets damaged water can get in and feed fungus and algea growth YUK!! however a towel left in the bottom to soak up any condensation for regular exchange is a cheap n easy solution..

PS when cutting beer line use a sharp blade and not scissors scissors will squeeze and deform the tube first and the resulting cut will not be square, and when inserted in a JG fitting will not sit flush and can result in a neucleation point to start a foam out and if done is a real bugger to trace back to and find..

Zippy that looks very nice. Do you have a photo looking inside please?
Fil that was a very helpful post thank you.

All of the guys advice above is sound. Exactly what you need to know.

You will also need to calculate how much PSI to set your CO2 to based on temp and beer style, and the length of your lines to stop pouring a whole pint of foam.

Good luck. It seems daunting at first but once you have setup, you will never look back.

Zippy that looks very nice. Do you have a photo looking inside please?
Fil that was a very helpful post thank you.

i will try to get a pic up but essentially inside is three corny kegs with a co2 fire extinguisher and the beer/gas lines to connect them up.

Back