100 grams minimum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterdays Brew

Maris Otter 5000g
Crystal Malt 100g
Torrified Wheat 300g
Chocolate Malt 20g

Citra Hops 100g @ 60mins

OG 1.043
FG 1.010
ABV 4.3%
Colour 16 EBC
8 SRM
IBU 157 (That should do the trick)

S04 Yeast.

Ill let you know in 10 weeks.

That sounds interesting, exactly the opposite of what I did with 100g citra so I'll be interested to hear how this turns out.

Any hop heads tried hop oil, I've got an original punk IPA in the fv that I was going to "dry hop" with hop oil I've got citra and cascade oil. Any recommendations on amounts

Try it and let us know, i'm thinking of doing it soon so i'll be interested in the result and what you think.........:thumb:

Any hop heads tried hop oil, I've got an original punk IPA in the fv that I was going to "dry hop" with hop oil I've got citra and cascade oil. Any recommendations on amounts

I have tried the hop oil from Brewferm and to be honest i didnt like it,sorry 😞,it just had a bit of a chemical taste, i may have used it wrong or in the wrong beer so go for it,maybe some brewery's use them? It certainly takes away all the cleaning up of hops etc.
Whatever you do,dont taste it from the bottle 😨,yes,i actually did that, numb tongue for hours and a citra sausage and mash dinner.

I've got some I used two drops per pint when bottling an underflavoured IPA and it wasn't enough really and wore off in the bottle quite quickly, I haven't had the need to use it since except a few weeks ago I added four drops to a glass before filling and that certainly lifted the pint. It's not gonna win any awards for producing a refined hop flavour but it's not at all bad either, just figuring out the dosage is hit and miss. Mine is from malt miller.

My recent NE-IPA would have had 150g of hops scaled up to 23L. I brewed 8L and added equal and increasing amounts of galaxy, amarillo and cascade every 5 min for the last 20 mins, started at 1.5g and added 1g each time so flame out was 5.5g of each. Meant to do a 25g dry hop with each but life got in the way and it never happened (more leftovers for a scale up).

Was a bit of an experiment as I'm not generally keen on IPAs as i find them yoo bitter, but this schedule (and maybe the American/Australian hops) give a really smooth and tasty result, and you'd never guess it's 60 IBU in a 5% beer. I might be on the homebred conversion to hop head.

Yesterdays Brew

Maris Otter 5000g
Crystal Malt 100g
Torrified Wheat 300g
Chocolate Malt 20g

Citra Hops 100g @ 60mins

OG 1.043
FG 1.010
ABV 4.3%
Colour 16 EBC
8 SRM
IBU 157 (That should do the trick)

S04 Yeast.

Ill let you know in 10 weeks.

Im going in for a mid ferment taste test, have spoon sanitized and ready to go...Ill report back.........

I think that this one will be a top IPA. Its nowhere near finished fermenting yet, but if you like Citra, its certainly there.

Ive already been in trouble for that 😭

Ok,since i couldnt give a toss,its Brew by James Morton.
Come and get me you copyright bandits 😜

Au contraire Rodders, he just sold another copy after I read those clips. :mrgreen:

Im going in for a mid ferment taste test, have spoon sanitized and ready to go...Ill report back.........

I think that this one will be a top IPA. Its nowhere near finished fermenting yet, but if you like Citra, its certainly there.

Well theres a disappointment...just opened a bottle and.....nothing. It will barely make a Pale Ale, and certainly not a IBU of 157.
I double checked my calculations and my notes and there is nothing amiss.
There was one thing that i did notice during fermenatation (brand new SO-4 yeast) it seemed to be top fermenting and the trub was very solid and compact. Ive used SO-4 about 100 times and never seen this before.
Confused.com...Ive just opened another bottle and its exactly the same

Well theres a disappointment...just opened a bottle and.....nothing. It will barely make a Pale Ale, and certainly not a IBU of 157.
I double checked my calculations and my notes and there is nothing amiss.
There was one thing that i did notice during fermenatation (brand new SO-4 yeast) it seemed to be top fermenting and the trub was very solid and compact. Ive used SO-4 about 100 times and never seen this before.
Confused.com...Ive just opened another bottle and its exactly the same

What style were you going for? Seems a bit of a waste putting all that citra in at 60 mins.

Was thinking that myself, for bittering hops i go with any cheap ones that are near the mark, Citra is a bit pricey going in at an hour, two or three very late hop additions is more typical of IPA.

Presumably he means after 60 minutes?

For 150+ IBUs I would assume he boiled 100g of citra for a full hour. Such a waste IMO, and at 4.1% it's going to be very unbalanced IMO - I had a similar issue with my first ever AG.

Jesus. Sounds like the brewing blooper I mentioned having in another thread.

My 2nd ag was a galaxy brew I found on brewers friend, and it's hop schedule is my go to for hop forward brews.

With the galaxy brew mentioned above it was
A third of each flavour addition (4grams for my 10litre brew) for bittering and then an equal additon at 10, 5 and flameout (12g for my 10litres).

It did suggest a 20min whirlpool rather than flameout but stirring is the best I can currently do.

For recent full length brews I have bittered with 15-20g of something cheap - like the millennium hops the hbc have for �£1.40 currently - then flavour hopped with 30g,30g and 40g at the above times with flavour hops like galaxy summit cascade or a mixture. If you find a hop you like have a look at the kilo bags. Cascade is really cheap at the moment and the summit I'm using at the moment cost me less than �£2.50/100g (and I have lots more to use....).

I do like the potential swaps mentioned here

I just received a kilo of cascade myself yesterday at just under £16 from Gerterbrewed for an experiment I shall be trying by repeating the same recipe over 10 brews.:thumb:

There's no such thing as overhopping with galaxy :tongue:

I find the opposite, made 2 brews with galaxy, the first was 200g single hop, mostly added late and dry hop. It's very fruity but has a weird aftertaste that's not going away soon! My next one was a mix of different hops and one was galaxy, way less than before but had the same aftertaste for a few weeks till it matured.

I find the opposite, made 2 brews with galaxy, the first was 200g single hop, mostly added late and dry hop. It's very fruity but has a weird aftertaste that's not going away soon! My next one was a mix of different hops and one was galaxy, way less than before but had the same aftertaste for a few weeks till it matured.

I don't use it for bittering because it can be a little harsh and also it's a waste of that beautiful flavour, especially when you can use something cheaper. But when used late in the boil or dry hopping, the more the better :drink:

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I've just had my first proper bottle of the GH American Wheat but with 100g of Mandarina Bavaria and I think the extra hops overpower the wheat flavour somewhat. I mean it's still a beautiful beer, but I think the original has the balance spot on and next time I'll tone the hops back down.

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I've just had my first proper bottle of the GH American Wheat but with 100g of Mandarina Bavaria and I think the extra hops overpower the wheat flavour somewhat. I mean it's still a beautiful beer, but I think the original has the balance spot on and next time I'll tone the hops back down.

Haven't done that but I know on belgians wheats and all that they say getting the hops right is important and in that style dont be tempted to go overpowering on US hops because it affects the balance

Latest posts

Back