What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a sad beer. My mother just passed away in the States at age 67. No close family other than me... half way around the world trying to get everything ready. If I didn't brew, I'd loose my mind. Now I'm at the airport in Tokyo getting ready to board. I would type the recipe but it was a fog. I know I mashed it high, 69 so we'll see the body on that!
Well, brew on guys. Got ten days of hell.

Sad to hear your news mate. I lost my mum 11 months ago aged 67. It sucks big time.
I hope you can sort everything out smoothly AND remember to look after yourself buddy.
John

I brewed a sad beer. My mother just passed away in the States at age 67. No close family other than me... half way around the world trying to get everything ready. If I didn't brew, I'd loose my mind. Now I'm at the airport in Tokyo getting ready to board. I would type the recipe but it was a fog. I know I mashed it high, 69 so we'll see the body on that!
Well, brew on guys. Got ten days of hell.

Sorry for your loss. Brew on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I brewed my last larger size brew (for at least a while) as I'm going to concentrate on smaller batches 5L-7L. It was Greg Hughes' Smoked Porter but I bumped it up to 6%AA. As I cant fit all the grain necessaryinto my pot I used almost 10% golden syrup to get to my target OG

On New Years Eve, I got dragged out for lunch with the in-laws. There were a number of real ales on offer and I chose a Black Sheep Riggwelter. I really liked it and as GW has a clone recipe in his famed book, I decided to have a go.

In the freezer were part bags of hops - First Gold, Progress and EKG, so my take on it was:

5kg MO
400g Wheat malt
380g Crystal
120g Choc
500g Sugar

Then 25g Progess, 25g First Gold @60m
And 25g EKG @10m

Gone off very quickly with reused English Ale and US05 mix

Not beer, but I got bored today and made Joes ancient orange mead.
OG of 1100 fun and easy to make:thumb:

I'm going to be up late tonight. Brewing my Düsseldorf Altbier, haven't got to boiling yet and it's already 9.30 pm. All good so far, got spot on target wort volume and ph after the mash and sparge, I'm getting the hang of my new setup

Another rather routine beer for today. To 25 L:

Maris Otter 5.5kg
Crystal 250g
Chocolate Malt 125g
Wheat Malt 125g

Admiral 22g @ 60mins
Goldings 25g and Progress 25g - half of each @ 15mins and 0mins.

This was #25 from the Grainfather

The re-used slurry from the Sarah Hughes Ruby Ale, which is English Ale and US 05 yeast.

I do know that everyone else on here makes more interesting sounding recipes than me, but are they any better? I really like an ESB and am interested in trying a few more GW recipes yet!

Another rather routine beer for today. To 25 L:

Maris Otter 5.5kg
Crystal 250g
Chocolate Malt 125g
Wheat Malt 125g

Admiral 22g @ 60mins
Goldings 25g and Progress 25g - half of each @ 15mins and 0mins.

This was #25 from the Grainfather

The re-used slurry from the Sarah Hughes Ruby Ale, which is English Ale and US 05 yeast.

I do know that everyone else on here makes more interesting sounding recipes than me, but are they any better? I really like an ESB and am interested in trying a few more GW recipes yet!

As long as you enjoy it that's all that matters :thumb:

Two nights ago the misses went down to Brighton to watch the footy. Witch gave me a nice bit of me time:thumb:
Brewed a Belgium golden strong ale. With a few mishaps along the way.
First time treating the water and I measured the calcium chloride in grams instead of point grams:oops:
So I had to chuck all that water down the sink:nono:
Then first time with the new bulldog malt mill. Pluged the drill into it and nothing! turned it in reverse all the grain came out not milled!! repeat about three time until I realized I had a flat battery:oops:
Milled by hand(went well).
Rest of brew day went well. Just pitched the yeast in to 19l of wort at target of 1.070. Efficiency of 70%:thumb::thumb: Hopefully it wont drop bellow 1012 or it may be a bit in the strong side for the style.

Brew day yesterday (Saturday)

Efficiency was way up than previous brews (no idea why) so I had to top up towards the end of the boil to hit my numbers. Started heating water at 10am and all cleaned up and done at 5pm. Which was good going considering it was dam freezing outside and getting to temps took an absolute age.

24L batch - American pale ale

Maris otter 4.8kg
Carapils 120g
Caramber 100g

OG 1.047
IBU 36
SRM 9.6

Mash profile
Mashin 40oC
Protein rest 50oC - 20 mins
Sac rest 64oC - 75 mins
Mash out 76oC - 15 mins

Sparge 6 litres - 78oC

Boil 70 mins

60 mins - 8g Citra
30 mins - 10g cascade
10 mins - 25g galaxy
10 mins - 25g motueka
10 mins - 10g cascade
Flame out Steep - 40 mins
50g - galaxy
25g - motueka
25g - cascade

Pitched 1/2 pint of yeast bay Vermont ale yeast slurry (harvested 5 days previous)

Ferment @ 18oC for 4 days, ramping up to 20oC to,finish fermentation.

Will dry hop with galaxy, motueka and cascade for 5 days before kegging. I might even bag some more hops to go into the keg [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday I did the Albino Squid Assassin rye IPA from the DIY Dog PDF. It's fermenting away behind my armchair as I type this. There's an unusual "FV" hop addition with this one - 175g of citra/chinook that apparently goes in during fermentation (so an early dry hop, basically). It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Next weekend I'm doing the Hughes American Wheat beer, but with an additional 28g of cascade either late in the boil or at flameout and 28g of cascade as dry hop, based on a thread that was on here a few days ago where someone said it was a great beer but lacked a certain something. I'm hoping that something is some cascade!

Got a ton of yeast while in America and just ordered a bunch of crushed grain. Going to stick to the last recipe till I've perfected it. I also picked up gypsum and calcium.... ah, the other one! Haha. So I'm going to play with my water a bit as well.
Yeast: k-97, T-58, ESB, Nottingham, Windsor and a few different wheat ones as well.
Any favorites out there?

Bottled my Festival Endeavour then started Muntons Midas Touch golden ale to which I added the yeast from the Festival. .a first for me so fingers crossed!

Cheers

Clint

Well, going to try the t-58 yeast and see the taste. Started the starter last night.

Brewed my first All-Grain on Saturday using a BIAB set up with a pot and burner bought from a member on this forum. It's a British Brown Ale I chose because of the simple brew schedule (just one hope addition right at the start).

The temperature dropped more than I'd hoped during the mash-in, even though I've insulated the pot. Hope it won't affect the beer too much.

Any thoughts on what to aim for in my next brew?

Tonight I am going to begin my Sheepdog's Pride Suffolk Bitter (Beerworks Craft Brewery Series).
beerworks_sheepdogs_pride_suffolk_bitter.jpg

This will be my first 'premium' kit so will make it as it comes out of the box with no tweaking.
Got my reptile heater mat and Inkbird ITC-308 ready and a roll of loft insulation to wrap round the FV.
Will probably set it to 20C +/- 1C
I've got high hopes for this one......

Brewed my first All-Grain on Saturday using a BIAB set up with a pot and burner bought from a member on this forum. It's a British Brown Ale I chose because of the simple brew schedule (just one hope addition right at the start).

The temperature dropped more than I'd hoped during the mash-in, even though I've insulated the pot. Hope it won't affect the beer too much.

Any thoughts on what to aim for in my next brew?

I too used to lose temp with the mash. Finally sussed it by wrapping the pot with an old foam camping mat with holes cut to accommodate the pot handles and taped together with gaffer tape and then wrapped again with a large bath towel, again taped to hold (50L pot) and finally, and probably the most important is another towel on top.
I pitch the grain at 73degs and it's still at 66 or so after 90 mins, and that's in a cold shed !

Good luck with your Biab. Big improvement on kits if you have the time......

Back