Mangrove Jacks M54 Californian Lager yeast at 14C

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Im sitting as I type this drinking a challenger steam beer fermented with MJ CaliLager yeast. Although my palette isnt particularly refined it seems pretty clean and even a bit crisp despite not lagering it (although I do have 5L lagering in my domestic fridge for a month to see it it makes any difference). I free fermented it at 17C. That was the ambient temp on of my kitchen floor at the time. The specs for this yeast are 18C-20C. I imagine the temp in my FV was a couple of degrees higher than ambient. So maybe 19C in the FV

I'm now fermenting a Anglo American lite steam beer/pseudo lager. The ambient temp on the kitchen floor is 16C and its seem to be fermenting away happily away. I'm wondering if I this yeast will ferment at 14C ambient. Has anyone else tried this?

Funnily enough I'm drinking a cream ale with the MJ yeast. Not the cleanest beer ive brewed but I think all the cold weather we've had has helped a bit(beer is kept in shed).
I'm making a steam beer next in two weeks. So hopefully with my new water skills and better temperature control it should turn out better.

Funnily enough I'm drinking a cream ale with the MJ yeast. Not the cleanest beer ive brewed but I think all the cold weather we've had has helped a bit(beer is kept in shed).
I'm making a steam beer next in two weeks. So hopefully with my new water skills and better temperature control it should turn out better.

My other option is Notty brewed at 14C. This is supposed to be clean at these temps. So I thought if I could get the M54 to work at 14C it would be pretty clean too

My other option is Notty brewed at 14C. This is supposed to be clean at these temps. So I thought if I could get the M54 to work at 14C it would be pretty clean too

The M84 bohemian larger can be brewed 10-15c. Could be an option but recommended largering 4-6 weeks.

The M84 bohemian larger can be brewed 10-15c. Could be an option but recommended largering 4-6 weeks.

I dont want to use a lager yeast as I want zero sulphur emissions as I brew in my kitchen. Otherwise I'd possibly use Wyeast 2124 that can be fermented from 9C-20C. Thanks for the heads up though

I have a sachet of that yeast that I'm planning on trying trying either a steam beer or a pseudo lager with it. I'm really interested to see how it compares to the white labs yeast in my standard steam recipe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How did this turn out? I’m about to try and ferment Mangrove M54 below 16C... did it pan out ok for anyone else?

Latest posts

Back