Evil Dog Double IPA (Hacked)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maintunez

Reaction score
Evil Dog Double IPA was my 2nd brew attempted and decided to split the wort into 2 batches for some experimentation.

(Have pictures but admin not allowing me add attachments)

BATCH 1:
Pretty much original recipe only I added 250g of sugar to bring my OG up to 1.072. (yes I like my beer strong :electric: )

Batch 2:
For this batch I boiled 3L of the wort for an hour and added 100g of whole leaf Apollo hops at various stages of the boil. I Hoped to add a real bitter kick with this hop addition)
I also added 400g of sugar to bring my OG up to 1.075

Exactly 2 weeks later Batch 1 had dropped to 1.005 (8.9%) and Batch 2 down to 1.005 also (9.3%)

Both were racked to secondary for finishing hops.

Batch 1 got the two packets that came with the kit whilst Batch 2 got 50g of whole leaf Cluster.

3 days of dry hopping, the last of which was a cold crash. Next time I will take the hop bags out before cold crashing as a lot of sediment settles on the bags. I bottled right after removing the hop bags but by taking them out it threw a bit of sediment around the bucket.

15 days later the bottles were carbonated and I tested one of each. Both had a great head and looked the part but Batch 2 was a clear winner with loads more depth of flavour and surprisingly smooth for the ABV.

2 further weeks in cold storage, both batches had improved on taste but again Brew 2 comes up best. Bitter citrus with tropical fruit notes and boozy finish. Not very aromatic though, maby 3 days dry hopping was too short or I needed to use more hops?

Will def buy this kit again and experiment further.

Got some pics of the whole process which would have been nice to share on here but it wont let me, guess its coz its my 1st post?

HAPPY BREWING FOLKS :drink:

Hey, i am new to the forum and this helped me out a lot. Also i will use not the standard ingredients (also don't use the yeast from kits) but want to use the hops from the raja's reward Ipa and from this evil dog Ipa to bitterhop (60 min. Boil) .. i like what you did with this evil dog kit and going to experiment also ;-) . Are there more people who could give there ingredients away for the perfect evil dog Ipa? ;-)

Latest posts

Back