Wait or add more yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chor808

Reaction score
Hello All,

I brewed an all grain Kolsh and pitched yeast about 24 hours ago. I used a liquid yeast in a smack pack. This pack has been in my fridge for about three months, I smacked it and did not notice the normal swelling of the pack after about 4 hours.

I pitched anyway and today can see zero action on the surface, now I know I can wait longer or should I order a new pack online quick and pitch that?

Yeast is the Kolsh yeast.

Thanks

It's called "Yeast"! :thumb:

If you want some activity a bit quicker you might try dousing it with petrol whilst smoking? :lol:

Leave it at least 72 hours before you even start to wonder about what is or isn't happening ... :thumb:

... but in the meantime you may as well get another packet.

It had a made date of July 2016 on the pack but no use by date.

You might have it on the temp, I've had it sitting at about 16-17c I've moved it to warmer spot about 21c to see if I see any action. I've ordered another pack, if it starts up fine I'll brew another with the new pack.

It had a made date of July 2016 on the pack but no use by date.

You might have it on the temp, I've had it sitting at about 16-17c I've moved it to warmer spot about 21c to see if I see any action. I've ordered another pack, if it starts up fine I'll brew another with the new pack.

Close to the "might be dead" line so put it down as a learning experience whatever happens.

Personally, even with yeast that is well within its BBE date, I find it reassuring to rehydrate the yeast and confirm that at least it's still alive. :thumb:

Assuming you have had it in the fridge the whole time a quick go on a yeast pitch calculator suggests you will have only 1/4 of the original cells after 6 months of storage.

If you are fermenting at on the cool side, then you are probably under pitching by 8-12 times.

I would suggest getting more yeast as the poor little blighters will be really struggling to establish themselves.

Then you will probably find that by the time you've got the yeast fermentation has finally taken off!

If it helps, I under-pitched a culture from a bottle conditioned Marstons pedigree, then after a few days I pitched some Gervin GV12, as it hadn't formed a Krausen.

Turns out that a closer look with a torch, i had big lumps of yeast just ready to float to the top. Judging by the amount of sulphur I can smell, this is certainly mainly the Marstons Yeast, rather than the gervin!

Thanks Antony, it is going like a train at the moment down to about 1015 from 1044 ish.

Ok it brewed to about 1010 however does not taste great. Tastes like medicine to be honest. Bottled anyway and I'll leave it for some time but I think the yeast really struggled to get going and that may have left the horrible taste.

Ok it brewed to about 1010 however does not taste great. Tastes like medicine to be honest. Bottled anyway and I'll leave it for some time but I think the yeast really struggled to get going and that may have left the horrible taste.

Don't worry. The chances are that it will taste fine in AT LEAST four weeks (two weeks carbonating in a nice warm dark place and then two weeks conditioning in a cold dark place - or even more if you have the patience).

I have to smile at your comment "... I think the yeast really struggled to get going" because I just cannot see how you imagine that it was a problem.

From "pitching" to bottling has been less than 14 days which is normally the absolute minimum time I recommend before even taking a SG reading.

I'm sure that a bit more patience on your part will be amply rewarded. :thumb: :thumb:

All gone down the gutter :-(

I think the problem was not the yeast but the fact I did not use a campden tablet. It tasted medicinal to me so sadly I dumped it.

Going to try the same brew again with the water treatment this time.

All gone down the gutter :-(

I think the problem was not the yeast but the fact I did not use a campden tablet. It tasted medicinal to me so sadly I dumped it.

Going to try the same brew again with the water treatment this time.

Medicinal or TCP sounds like a wild yeast infection!
Maybe something else got in to help your yeast out (pediococcus)

Sorry, but if I threw away everything that didn't taste "right" the first time I tried it I would probably be terminally thirsty!

Brewing is definitely not a "Timed Event". :doh:

It was never going to get better sadly. I've brewed something simlar and there is no TCP taste at all. I'm sure it is my water that was the issue not the yeast, but it could have been an infection as stated above.

What does your mains tap water taste and smell like?
Do you drink it without a second thought? If you do it's OK to brew with.
If it tastes and/or smells of chlorine or anything else for that matter you may need to treat it or worse not use it for brewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does your mains tap water taste and smell like?
Do you drink it without a second thought? If you do it's OK to brew with.
If it tastes and/or smells of chlorine or anything else for that matter you may need to treat it or worse not use it for brewing.

Smells of Chlorine. Looking back at my excel sheet the I've had this TCP taste three times, all ligher beers (Kolsh, Patersbeir and a Saison) in each case I did not use a campden tablet. In bitters I have had no issues tablet or not.

I am using a campden tablet everytime now. I have just brewed a rice lager which is fermenting away in the chamber, so far no sign of the TCP flavour.

Dutto those look like a good idea. I'll have a look if I can fit one.

Back