Are You A Smoker?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly - just like junkies shooting up whilst plumbing the depths, alcoholics drinking whilst their liver melts and their life and the lives of those around them fall apart. It drives me mad when folk say "just stop", as if it's a simple operation like turning off a tap, job done.

Theres only one way to stop, will power, i had a TIA stroke on friday 13th of May this year, standing at the bar of my local pub at 11am, i smoked 10 to 15 small cigars a day, i was let home from hospital the next day. i am 56, and had a blood clot that exploded in my brain, good job it did ) caused by a blocked artery in my neck,it caused a TIA stroke. I was told the main contributor to this was smoking , i had a cigar the morning it happened at approx 8am, it was my last. How sad was it that it took something like this to make me stop this filthy habit, i played semi pro football. until i was 27 , i have a body racked with injury related problems , why did i start smoking at approx 28 ,:doh: i could murder a cigar when i have a meal and a drink , i associated smoking with enjoyment, and still get the pangs when i am enjoying my self in company or out for a drink , but i will never smoke again (only a salmon Trout or brisket on my BBQ). IF you smoke PLEASE STOP :thumb:

I was a big smoker up to 5 years ago.i am now in the end stage of c.o.p.d
I can not do much now with out help dress myself bath wash my hair thing like that
I have a stair lift.but at the end of the day
I still do something more than must that have copd
SO IF YOU ARE A SMOKER STOP NOW BEFORE ITS TO LATE AND YOU LAND UP LIKE ME

I actually have stopped - after a million attempts and with a lot of help from snuff. Ye it's still nicotine but a damn sight cheaper and infinitely more pleasurable than those aids churned out by big pharma to ensure the taxman doesn't lose out. I'm just fed up of folk making out it's easy. Why do fat bleeders find it so hard to cut out the constant gorging, junkies shooting smack, alkis constantly plastered etc, and all 3 of those groups no use to anyone? Smoking is arguably the hardest of the lot to quit - and I've heard that straight from ex smackheads. We are all wired different and some find quitting anything easy,some find it extremely difficult if not impossible,even if it means paying the ultimate price. They don't put pics of syringes and hypodermic needles on tobacco packages for fun. In the interest of fairness I'd like to see pics of mangled livers on cans of lager, diabetic amputations on cake boxes etc.

read this then make up your mind if you still want to smoke
https://www.verywell.com/end-stage-copd-914752

*sigh*. It's nothing to do with 'wanting'. Didn't even bother reading the link. Some folk will never get it. Just don't don't do this,just don't do that. Addiction is a terrible thing. It is not a choice beyond being foolish enough to try the substance in question in the first place. I'd hazard a guess that everyone who is addicted to something that they know is very bad would like to quit. If only it was that simple,huh?

I agree with Gunge above!

I WANTED to quit smoking from the age of 21 years (just married and hard up) through to 63 years old when I finally achieved my aim.

I made countless attempts and during these 40 plus years I saw almost everything that is supposed to stop people from smoking ...

... AND NONE OF THEM STOPPED ME!

During my smoking period ...

I laid in a hospital bed with a broken thigh whilst a 60 year old man in the next bed took a month to slowly die the most horrible death imaginable from emphysema brought on by his smoking.

I lost a wonderful friend (also a smoker) to lung cancer; which is a long and painful way to die.

I attended quite a few post-mortems on smokers who had heart attacks due to the extra load being put on their hearts by the ongoing problems caused by smoking. Seeing the blackness of their lungs still didn't put me off smoking.

My own father smoked 60 fags a day and died of a heart attack brought on by the fags aggravating the angina caused by silicosis and pneumoconiosis.

It really isn't easy to give up, but it becomes a lot easier when you finally accept the fact that ...

... you are NOT a "smoker" ...

... you are a NICOTINE ADDICT.

Until you wean yourself off ALL forms of nicotine ...

... you WILL CONTINUE TO SMOKE ...

... or you will chew nicotine gum, take snuff, stick on nicotine plasters etc etc.

In fact, YOU WILL DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING to feed your NICOTINE ADDICTION.

? Smoking is arguably the hardest of the lot to quit - and I've heard that straight from ex smackheads.

I can confirm this. Lets not dive into details. But leaving the hard stuff (not weed) was a lot easier than leaving cigarettes.

I think social acceptability plays a role. It is somewhat acceptable to smoke. If you walk into a pub, and see a guy lighting his Marlboro you will be less shocked than spotting a guy busy shooting up, or snorting a line. Social pressure must play a role.

... you are NOT a "smoker" ...

... you are a NICOTINE ADDICT.

And this is why I believe government should support vaping and ecigs.
But they cant. Cigarettes bring in too much revenue that they physically depend on.
Vaping is maybe not as healthy as nicotine gums, but its a hell of a lot better than smoking, and a gazzilion time more effective than gums to quit.
I used vaping to quit. Even though my friends teased me and said i will grow a vagina and **** like that.
Now i've quit smoking and they still try.​

just one more thing you should read and I hope it will make you give up smoking.
I wished I have seen this earlier then I would not be like I am in the last stages of copd.
and seeing my wife getting so upset when she is helping me to have a wash get dressed things like this

https://www.1stclassmed.com/blog/understanding-the-4-stages-of-copd

The biggest problem is that everyone thinks that it won't happen to them and can always quote examples of loads of people who haven't got copd.
My sis in law has it (stage1 - 2)and after the death of her husband from lung cancer promised to give up and does so frequently but goes straight back to it.

Don't get me wrong (I'm an ex smoker) I could still quite happily go back to smoking right now. But I don't. After having quit for two years not a day goes by that I think I would like a cigarette again. But I just don't because I know they are bad. And I would be hooked again.

I gave up using champex tablets from the NHS. Amazing things that literally take the enjoyment out of smoking. So you just slowly stop and find yourself not wanting to smoke. Sadly they also take any joy out of anything the whole time your on the tablets. But 2 months of being miserable is worth stopping the cancer sticks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But they cant. Cigarettes bring in too much revenue that they physically depend on.
Vaping is maybe not as healthy as nicotine gums, but its a hell of a lot better than smoking, and a gazzilion time more effective than gums to quit.
I used vaping to quit. Even though my friends teased me and said i will grow a vagina and **** like that.
Now i've quit smoking and they still try.

A ex-boss of mine put it very well. Smokers generally fall ill and die of their smoking related disease very quickly. The revenue in tax paid on ciggies over 20+ yearsfar outweighs the call on the NHS when they do require smoking related health care (end of life assistance.) Therefore these gallant smokers are laying down their lives to help fund the NHS :-?

A person is NEVER cured of an addiction ... :nono: :nono:

... but by acknowledging that they are an addict they can ensure that they avoid the source of the addiction and live a healthier (and hopefully longer) life.

NEVER believe an addict (be it alcohol, gambling, nicotine or even sniffing ladies underwear) who insists that they have their addiction "under control" but then admits that they "occasionally" indulge themselves.

They may fool themselves but don't let them fool you. :nono: :nono:

Now i've quit smoking and they still try.

A ex-boss of mine put it very well. Smokers generally fall ill and die of their smoking related disease very quickly. The revenue in tax paid on ciggies over 20+ yearsfar outweighs the call on the NHS when they do require smoking related health care (end of life assistance.) Therefore these gallant smokers are laying down their lives to help fund the NHS :-?

Are you sure about this? On the surface it seems true, because tobacco brings in around �£12bn a year, while illness attributed to smoking costs around �£4bn a year, which is about 5% of the NHS budget. However, the 80000 or so that die prematurely cost more than just the price of their treatment, even from a purely economic point of view. They also result in a loss of the cumulative tax they would've paid had they not died before the end of their working years. Even taking off the cost of treatment for age-related illnesses they would've succumbed to, pretty much every analysis in the scientific and economic literature concludes that smoking costs countries more than it brings in.

A person is NEVER cured of an addiction ... :nono: :nono:

... but by acknowledging that they are an addict they can ensure that they avoid the source of the addiction and live a healthier (and hopefully longer) life.

NEVER believe an addict (be it alcohol, gambling, nicotine or even sniffing ladies underwear) who insists that they have their addiction "under control" but then admits that they "occasionally" indulge themselves.

They may fool themselves but don't let them fool you. :nono: :nono:

I was cured of addictions to smoking, alcohol and cannabis. In addition to that I couldnt enjoy a night out without drugs like speed or ecstasy as well. I can drink sensibly now and average about 6 pints a week if that. I have had no desire to smoke or take drugs for many years.

I was cured of addictions to smoking, alcohol and cannabis. In addition to that I couldnt enjoy a night out without drugs like speed or ecstasy as well. I can drink sensibly now and average about 6 pints a week if that. I have had no desire to smoke or take drugs for many years.

Congratulations, you have your addictions under control. :thumb: :thumb:

However, it is a commonly held belief (and one to which I subscribe) that an addiction cannot be "cured" but it can be controlled.

I quote:

"Inherent in the idea of a cure is the permanent end to the specific instance of the disease.
When a person has the common cold, and then recovers from it, the person is said
to be cured, even though the person might someday catch another cold.
Conversely, a person that has successfully managed a disease, such as diabetes,
so that it produces no undesirable symptoms for the moment,
but without actually permanently ending it, is not cured."​

I haven't had a cigarette in over ten years but after finishing a job (like Sunday which was a Brew Day) I can still find myself patting my pockets searching for a fag.

I also know that should I be diagnosed as having a terminal disease with a limited time to live my first stop after the doctor's surgery would be the nearest tobacconists!

Cured? Me? Sorry but "No! Never!" :doh:

Reactions: Ale
Just the growing up fags for me, don't know why anyone would smoke in this day and age,, having said that each to his own.

There are 2 types of people, smokers and non smokers. You can't be an ex smoker classed as 'controlling' your addiction, by not having one. You don't control addiction, addiction controls you. You either smoke or you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However, it is a commonly held belief (and one to which I subscribe) that an addiction cannot be "cured" but it can be controlled.

I haven't had a cigarette in over ten years but after finishing a job (like Sunday which was a Brew Day) I can still find myself patting my pockets searching for a fag.
Dutto
I can honestly say that, after 40 years or so of doing without, I have no desire whatsoever to smoke, sniff or chew any form of tobacco. I may have been addicted in some way all those years ago but tobacco forms no part of my life whatsoever, other than when I pass or follow some poor unfortunate in the street who believes that in spite of all the warnings it is still necessary for them to smoke. The last time I had a drag on a cigarette out of curiosity was 20 years ago, and that was a re-inforcing moment I can tell you, it was truly disgusting.
So although I can identify with the 'where's me fags' feeling it does disappear sooner or later. Mine took several years, about 7 or 8 if I remember correctly. So with luck, 2017 could be the year you stop searching. Here's hoping :thumb:

Latest posts

Back