Young's WineBuddy Cabernet Savignon 30bt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbsf

Landlord.
Reaction score
Whurr the ol' M5 crosses the ancient M4...
Ok, having had this on the shelf for quite a while (from when Tesco had them on for 11 quid), and having obtained a few more demijohns to bulk store it in decided now would be a good time to get it going.

I read Moley's comments on the similar Merlot kit, so decided to brew it short and also add a couple of embellishments!

So I got 5L of boiling water ready, but infused it with 20 "Blackcurrant, Vanilla & Ginseng" hippy tea bags to give it a bit more flavour and darken the colour a little. I then added the 4kg sugar as per the instructions, but instead of topping it up to 23L, added a carton of Tesco "Apple, Blackcurrant and Beetroot" juice - a quid a go at the moment, half a bottle of IKEA blueberry cordial and then topped up to 20L with cold water.

This has given me an OG of 1.095, which should mean a finished wine of around 13.5-14% hopefully.

I've added the yeast/nutrient pack (what a whopper!) and the oak chips as directed, and 2hrs on it's already bubbling like a good 'un.

Will report back when it's time for racking.

Sounds good. If it were me I would have avoided the beetroot bit but hopefully the small percentage will not be too noticeable. Beetroot tends to take a long time to mature, but it does add colour.

:cheers: Bob. It's only about 10% of the 1L so hopefully shouldn't be too bad. Moley recommended putting them in bulk storage for a good few months anyway, so hopefully by the time it comes to bottle them (I'm reckoning on bottling the majority of it maybe July time and leaving it bottled until at least September) it should be quite nice.

It's going mental through the airlock at the moment - pretty much a constant stream of gas (rather than just bubbles) although as it's in a screw top fermenter, there's hopefully enough head space to stop it climbing out!

Latest posts

Back