Goodbye belly.... hello toes!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narmour

Landlord.
Reaction score
We have finally given in and admitted that we are fatties... me and the missus have joined a slimming world group :(

We're getting married in a year and a bit and would quite like to have photos we can be proud of so the slog starts today.

It's depressing how little 30 grams of cereal is :shock: and it's only when I read through the (propaganda) information leaflets that I realised how much of an over eater I am. Worst bit is, I can just about manage maybe 2 pints of cider a week :sulk: which is going to make the 10 gallons of TC I have brewing and conditioning last a while ....

Oh well, I guess avoiding a heart attack in my 40s makes it all worth it. I might get to see my little girl grow up this way.

Has anyone here tried the Fat Club route of losing weight?

:hat:

Good Luck mate, I did the atkins last year and lost loads before a holiday and looked damn good even if I do say so my self sadly found I like food more than I like being thin so put all the weight back on and a bit more too.

I should start loosing again soon as we are selling our 2nd car today and that will mean I am cycling to and from work every day (3 miles each way)

Keep us updated on how you are finding it :) - the moral support from us should help a bit :thumb:

Good luck!

I've also hit the diet and healthy living to shift a few pounds (well maybe more than a few!) after having to buy a new shirt for a wedding at the weekend which was still too tight.

Can thoroughly recommend the Hairy Dieters book, some great recipes that are all designed to be healthy as well as filling. Plus you don't feel you're missing out on normal food too much, we're having Chilli con carne tonight and Chicken Jalfrezi tomorrow for example.

I've a friend who's doing Slimmer's world at the moment and he says it's great and surprising what you can eat while on it.

Good luck, I know I have to loose weight, I did start jogging before the winter hit. I'll start again once the snow has gone.

My step-daughter did BeachBody Insanity and lost 2 stone in 60 days. I've been tempted to give it a try, but haven't the time to get started as I have enough on my plate going to work and the looking after my 2 year old when I get home

I've struggled with weight for years...although not fat I've been above the 15 stone mark. Its not easy to cut eating down when you suffer from diabetis...
So I use smaller plates !. Might sound daft but it helps your mental attitude. you still seem to have a full plate.
I've cut out the **** nibbles although a packet of crisps is welcomed. a couple of pints of my beer a night, still eat 3 meals a day and I'm now 13 stone 3 pounds.
You don't have to go drastic to lose weight and those slimming clubs can't do anything for me that I can't do for myself.

I use a free app on my phone called 'my fitness pal' and calorie count
since mid January i have lost 10 kgs
I also cycle to work which is a round trip of 8 and a half miles 4 days a week and me and the wife who is also losing weight (approx 3 times as fast as me) walk a minimum of a mile every night

damn I'm knackered :tongue:

I've struggled with my weight since I left school 20+ years ago. I've tried lots of different things, including weight watchers, but the one that I've found has really worked is cutting out as much sugar as possible, and eating more lean protein. However, any diet plan is pretty much doomed to fail unless you combine it with regular exercise, because the exercise not only makes you feel better and gets you fit, it actually changes your metabolism, for the better.

Last year, I lost two stone by switching to a low-carb diet (not quite as extreme as Atkins, but along those lines), along with cycling to work (only 4 miles each way, but done in 17 mins :D ). However, I was made redundant in July so am no longer getting the same level of exercise (although I do walk my dogs everyday still), and the weight is creeping back on - I've managed to put on a stone in six months :evil:

However, I reckon a lot of that weight gain is down to home-brewing and drinking more beer, as with my cycling I probably burnt off two pints of beer calories every day. So I'm trying not to drink in the week and see if that helps, but I'm thinking I'm going to get back on my bike if I really want to get rid of the flab again!

Right... Listen up!

SWMBO is a SW member. Used to be with the other lot - don't go there, they hold profit much higher than success for their members.

Anyway, I'm one of the lucky ones who's never had a problem mass-wise but about 10 years ago I stopped smoking, then took a 3 week holiday to Florida... :lol: That stone never got shifted - I was living in hotels and eating out nearly every night because I was doing contract programming work, that didn't help...

Then two and a bit years ago parenthood landed, that did another stone and all of a sudden, the boundary between "healthy" and "overweight" was right there... :shock:

Anyway, the point is this. SWMBO joined the village SW group a few months back and while she "does SW" I don't. But we do cook from their cookbooks and on the whole the food is superb - there is a real focus on cooking from scratch - and we all just eat the same but I haven't cut out the sandwiches for lunch, the biscuits in the office, the beer OR the peanuts and crisps and I've lost a WHOLE STONE!!! Without trying!

Slimming World works if you embrace the core tenets - cut out all processed food and cook everything from the raw ingredients - it really does.

Good luck and remember this. Healthy weight loss is up to 2lb per week. Any more than that is unsustainable and you WILL put it all back on again. But at 2lb a week for the year you have available? That's 104lb.

Or 7st 6lb!!!!

Slow and steady. :thumb:

calumscott said:
Slimming World works if you embrace the core tenets - cut out all processed food and cook everything from the raw ingredients - it really does.

It might be a *little* cheeky of me to include all grain beer in that definition of "cooked from raw ingredients therefore allowed"...

...but I do! :lol:

Growler said:
I use a free app on my phone called 'my fitness pal' and calorie count
since mid January i have lost 10 kgs
I also cycle to work which is a round trip of 8 and a half miles 4 days a week and me and the wife who is also losing weight (approx 3 times as fast as me) walk a minimum of a mile every night

damn I'm knackered :tongue:

Moi aussi. 10kg in 6 weeks using myfitnesspal as well as using the couch to 5k app.

I cannot run, have never been able to run, used to hate it at school and look like an idiot running. In addition, I've always suffered with shin splints and bad knees.

And now, somehow, I'm able to run 5k regularly. It's just not right :nono:

i cud do with losing a stone or two of my bellly, thats about all, am not really fat, but my problem is **** food, crisps etc,. but starting to cut these out, never done any clubs, i don't believe in them, have lost weight before, so can do again, at work i walk about 6 miles a night, and when i can get back in the shed, the bikes back out!!
Drinking beer isn't helping, but sod it, got to have some habits!

calumscott said:
calumscott said:

It might be a *little* cheeky of me to include all grain beer in that definition of "cooked from raw ingredients therefore allowed"...

we as a family of 4 ,cook all freshly made food,
no redy meals are ever bought,
we dont eat many,... crisps,biscuits,takeaways,and no fizzy drinks,
and none of us are overweight... :D
we have a beer and wine or two every other night, :drunk:

Energy in - energy out = weight loss.

So as well as restricting the 1st you and help by increasing the 2nd, so get a bit more active and it'll help loads. There is more to being healthy than being slim.

Me and her are by no means clueless when it comes to eating good food... we both love cooking, we know how to make a diet healthy, and we both come from families were good home cooking was the order of the day. Unfortunately we both love food a little too much and the motivation to lose weight was, until our daughter was born, lacking. If you put two overweight people in the same house they are bad for each other. We joined SW, not to get recipe inspirations or to be taught how to eat healthily, but more for the motivation and encouragement that the group set up gives.

My real problem is portion size and greed. I don't need to eat that second serving but I hate to throw good food out, and if there is a small portion in the pot which isn't big enough to put in the freezer, I'll just 'tidy it up' rather than chuck it in the bin.

artyb said:
calumscott said:
calumscott said:

we as a family of 4 ,cook all freshly made food,
no redy meals are ever bought,
we dont eat many,... crisps,biscuits,takeaways,and no fizzy drinks,
and none of us are overweight... :D
we have a beer and wine or two every other night, :drunk:

Lucky you. That sounds exactly like our house yet we are both overweight. Go figure!

narmour said:
My real problem is portion size and greed. I don't need to eat that second serving but I hate to throw good food out, and if there is a small portion in the pot which isn't big enough to put in the freezer, I'll just 'tidy it up' rather than chuck it in the bin.

Same problem here, eat pretty well but just have big portion sizes!

We've been dishing out the portions straight off. So if a meal is meant to be for 4, serve 2 on plates and 2 straight into pots for the freezer. That way you know you've got the right portion size and there's not that little bit in the pot to 'clear up'. Smaller plates are also a good ploy which were mentioned above.

JimmyB78 said:
narmour said:

We've been dishing out the portions straight off. So if a meal is meant to be for 4, serve 2 on plates and 2 straight into pots for the freezer. That way you know you've got the right portion size and there's not that little bit in the pot to 'clear up'. Smaller plates are also a good ploy which were mentioned above.

I usually cook and then she comes in and serves up... her eyes aren't quite as greedy as mine!!!

I have been known in my more shameful days to go into the freezer and retrieve the extra portion out again to microwave a few hours later... :nono:

JimmyB78 said:
narmour said:

I feel your pain brothers.

When I went to my quacks, just before I was 40, he insisted on doing my 40+ blood tests so I let him.

At the time, I was bordering on "obese" and yet my cholesterol was around 4 which is apparently low. When questioning me about my habits, I admitted my problem isn't WHAT i eat (we eat very little processed food) but HOW MUCH.

Oops, I can't stick to a diet I have no will power when it comes to food, I wish I did have but I just can't stop eating !!!

Back