Two Piece Airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Hello,

Can you please confirm if I should "click" the two parts of two piece airlock together once I've filled it with StarSan, or just leave the top part loosely on top?

At the moment I've left it loosely on top on the assumption how will pressure be let out if the two parts are sealed? However, I'm not sure! So, please, how should I correctly use the two piece airlock?

Pitched yeast about two hours ago and eagerly awaiting life signs from my first (bodged!) brew. If I get any drinkable beer out of this it'll be a miracle! :electric:

Thanks!

The two pieces don't "click" but should be pushed together fully. There's a big enough gap between the two for gas to get out.

With time the little lugs under the lid begin to wear, so if the top persists in rising up a blob of blu-tak and a coin or two might be needed to weight it down.

This is always assuming you have a gas tight fermenter.

Thanks for such a useful prompt reply.

I think there has been the first sign of activity! The StarSan solution has been pushed very high (higher than the level I had filled to). I removed the top cap to replace it fully, as per your instructions, and some of the StarSan overflowed. There is still a good level of StarSan in (level high above the inner bit of the top piece. Is there any fill line indiction on the airlock? Worried I've got the level wrong.

Having seen *something* has started to happen (some three and a half hours in) I'm really hoping it'll get going so I'm a little over eager to make sure everything is fine! :)

Thanks.

Just looked at my spare two piece and noticed there *is* a line which I guess might be a fill level? Not sure but I'd not filled that high. I left it not wanted to do anything wrong and gone back to check an hour later and noticed BUBBLES! Woo! This is good. Odd that the gas is pushing the bubbles *out* of the airlock though... Especially if I have under filled the airlock... You'd have thought if I'd filled the lock any higher it'd push even more bubbles out? I'll leave it over night and check tomorrow. I understand what the airlock is meant to do and the basic principle of how it works but a user guide on *how* to use a two piece would be great. All the videos and guides I've seen are specifically for S bubbler airlocks!

LavaChild said:
Just looked at my spare two piece and noticed there *is* a line which I guess might be a fill level? Not sure but I'd not filled that high. I left it not wanted to do anything wrong and gone back to check an hour later and noticed BUBBLES! Woo! This is good. Odd that the gas is pushing the bubbles *out* of the airlock though... Especially if I have under filled the airlock... You'd have thought if I'd filled the lock any higher it'd push even more bubbles out? I'll leave it over night and check tomorrow. I understand what the airlock is meant to do and the basic principle of how it works but a user guide on *how* to use a two piece would be great. All the videos and guides I've seen are specifically for S bubbler airlocks!

I typically fill my two-piece airlocks to the halfway mark. Once you add the cap the pressure forces the liquid up to almost the top. Very rarely do I get any water bubbling out during the fermentation.

naturals said:
LavaChild said:

I typically fill my two-piece airlocks to the halfway mark. Once you add the cap the pressure forces the liquid up to almost the top. Very rarely do I get any water bubbling out during the fermentation.

Well overnight some more liquid has been pushed out however it's now bubbling away nicely. I can only imagine the amount of liquid is now 'correct' as if I put any more in I would imagine it'll only be pushed out again.

So, fermentation underway... Now to hope I get an edible beer out of it! :) Thanks for all the help.

LavaChild said:
Hello,

Can you please confirm if I should "click" the two parts of two piece airlock together once I've filled it with StarSan, or just leave the top part loosely on top?

Do others use star san in the airlock?

I've never given it a thought....

stuworx said:
LavaChild said:
Hello,

Do others use star san in the airlock?

I've never given it a thought....

I've read of others using it. Reason being under certain conditions the liquid can be sucked back *into* the fermenter... And you don't want that happening if the liquid is a few days old tap water, for example. Though only use a santiser that is flavourless/odourless for this reason. In such small quantity I think StarSan should be fine should this ever happen.

Vodka is good for the same reason - It'll just add a smidge extra alcohol ;)

Hi guys,

I have the same type of airlock and I can't quite figure out how's it supposed to work. I filled it up halfway with bottled spring water (I did read from somewhere that water is fine, so figured spring water should be a safe bet) and firmly closed cap on top of it. And what happened is that it didn't do anything for a while and then at some point it just boom, pushed the cap off and spilled all the water. Now I'm left with just a little bit of wort in it. Is that supposed to happen?

airlock.jpg

airlock-closeup.jpg

The airlock only needs to be pushed a little into the fermenter - ideally you don't want the krausen to reach it (which it has here). Personally I would get a clean cup, pull the airlock out, place the inverted cup over the airlock hole, clean and resterilise the airlock, half fill it with sterilised water or whatever your preference is and refit (pushing it into the grommet just far enough so it is secure. Once refitted you can wipe round the airlock and all should be good.

HTH
Stuart

The airlock only needs to be pushed a little into the fermenter - ideally you don't want the krausen to reach it (which it has here). Personally I would get a clean cup, pull the airlock out, place the inverted cup over the airlock hole, clean and resterilise the airlock, half fill it with sterilised water or whatever your preference is and refit (pushing it into the grommet just far enough so it is secure. Once refitted you can wipe round the airlock and all should be good.

HTH
Stuart

Ah, I see! That makes sense. I've done as you instructed and now I just need to wait and see. Thanks so much! A pint on me once this batch is done! :) :thumb:

Back