No-chill container recommendation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do_you_realise

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the concept of Aussie-style "no-chill" cooling (despite being a vaguely inaccurate term) as it looks like a really handy way of cooling without using ****loads of water / spending a lot of money on copper tubing, and also will split my brew day across a couple of days, when I don't have a massive amount of time to brew (mostly confined to the odd evening mid-week)

I was at a camping shop last week and excitedly bought a couple of the 15L water containers, the flexible floppy type people use as water butts while camping, and didn't check beforehand whether they were suitable for boiling water... tested with 15L of boiling water and as well as making the container completely stretchy and a bit melted it also made the water (once cooled) taste overwhelmingly of plastic :clap:

Are there any suitable containers available in the UK? Suitable for a 23L batch and available online preferably. As far as I can tell they only really need to be a) food safe for water at 100 celsius and b) flexible enough that excess air can be squeezed out once full, and that the reduced volume of the wort once cooled doesn't cause it to crack. Also no plasticky flavours.

Cheers!

+1 also email the ebay seller about extra lids,before buying (free pnp) the lids n seals are the weak link, so a few spare make life easy. the initial pressure up from steam escape when filled hot will indicate a lid problem with a spare at hand its just a nigle.
diy silicone baking sheet seals can rejuvinate a lid.. also dril 1 lid with a grommet or bung hole for airlock fitting, just sprinkle in yeast and change lids ;)

Latest posts

Back