School boy error priming lager???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheshed

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've jumped into all grain after doing a few kits a few years ago. All seems to be good and my first pilsner is about 4 weeks into conditioning.

I've never used a barrel before but I have it conditioning in a wilko pressure barrel with co2 injector and bullets.

It smells great, is pretty clear, holds it's head nicely and tastes stunning but is sadly as flat as a pancake...

I didn't prime with any sugar (being a newbie I assumed the 2nd condition - ferment would give me fizz)

Will it eventually get a bubble if I use enough bullets in the barrel? Will the co2 absorb into the beer if I keep upping the pressure in the tub (without over pressuring to bursting point!)

I'll still drink it regardless and everyone that's tried it can't believe how good it tastes...would be better with a bubble though!

Thanks in advance for any help restoring my fizz....

I am by no means an expert but I don't think the plastic pressure barrels hold enough pressure to force carbonate. The yeast should still be active though so I think I am right in saying you could add priming sugar, re seal and leave for a couple of weeks.

IF you can chill the pb then its theoretically possible to condition with pressure.
check a kegging chart http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php to check the temp and pressure required to achieve the target. the pressure will be the max that the pb can sustain 10-12psi? and will be expensive in bulbs possibly needing a daily tops up till the prv blows for about a week.

I((f you can chill the pb down to the temps neded.. and its a big IF pb's dont fit in the fridge too easily..

So the easiest solution is as suggested above, re-prime and wait a few more weeks..

itl be a cracking pint after the extra delay im sure ;)

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Think I'm going to reprime and bottle what I have got left.

Once I've primed do I need to put it back into the fridge or room temp for a bit? I'll do a plastic bottle to keep an eye on pressure.

Thanks again people...the sodastream was getting a bit messy! :)

You will want to put it back at room temperature for a few weeks :)

Latest posts

Back