3 x 450ml grolsch swing tops for £5 at tesco

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been buying grolsch from tesco for ages at least you get some beer with the bottles so nearly have a full stock of swing tops now

B&M sell these bottles individually for a better price, £1.50 iirc. I'll ask my Son later as he works there.

seeing as there isnt too much diffrence between a swing top with beer in it i dont see why not to get it with some beautiful grolsch in it omnomnom

seeing as there isnt too much diffrence between a swing top with beer in it i dont see why not to get it with some beautiful grolsch in it omnomnom

I used to do the same, but all points considered:
they're green not brown
450ml not 500ml
labels are a sod to get off
they have grolsch in them
I ended up buying some of these and don't use the grolsch ones anymore, and on offer at 9.99 for 12 - a pretty good price I think???

http://www.therange.co.uk/make-your...ack-of-12/kitchen/the-range/fcp-product/51073

Don't think they deliver though.

I used to do the same, but all points considered:
they're green not brown
450ml not 500ml
labels are a sod to get off
they have grolsch in them
I ended up buying some of these and don't use the grolsch ones anymore, and on offer at 9.99 for 12 - a pretty good price I think???

http://www.therange.co.uk/make-your...ack-of-12/kitchen/the-range/fcp-product/51073

Don't think they deliver though.

seeing the re-use value yes indeedy, but atleast youll know that the grolsch bottles are up to the challenge as theyve already been tested

and yes i know theyre 50ml less but them being green will also let in more uv light to my understanding thus affecting your brew

seeing the re-use value yes indeedy, but atleast youll know that the grolsch bottles are up to the challenge as theyve already been tested

and yes i know theyre 50ml less but them being green will also let in more uv light to my understanding thus affecting your brew

Yeah and seeing as my stash of the brown ones is dwindling all the time as I give/swap them away I'll no doubt be back to the grolsch bottles soon enough. :smile:

Yeah and seeing as my stash of the brown ones is dwindling all the time as I give/swap them away I'll no doubt be back to the grolsch bottles soon enough. :smile:

im just a little surprised i cant get hold of these from anyone i know, i mean surely non brewers must see the value in these swing tops the same as perhaps say jam jars

Ive got some like that. Got them with Wheat Beer in from Aldi last Xmas. You can get them a bit darker than that but they are a total pita to fill as you cant see the level. Maybe i need a torch.

thanks for the heads up :)

My son said his branch of B&M don't have the Grolsh bottles in stock but that's not to say other stores won't have them.

Ikea sell these 1 Litre swing tops: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30213552/ also available in 500ml.

I know they are expensive but swing tops are a lot easier to manage imo. I use corny and mini kegs but I do like to keep the odd bottle at hand.

Just a "Heads Up" for anyone using ANY Flip-Top bottle!

ALWAYS remember to dismantle everything and sanitise the cap & clamp, rubber washer and bottle SEPARATELY.

After filling the bottles I rinse my hands in the sterilising solution (sensible people would wear latex gloves :doh:), pull out a washer and a cap & clamp from the sterilising fluid, put them together, fit them to the bottle and then seal the top.

(There's a knack to fitting the cap & clamp to the bottle so I suggest that you practice the manoeuvre before doing it for real.) :thumb:

After all the bottles are filled, I rinse the outsides of the bottles to get the sterilising solution off the metal bits and dry them before putting them away. (If you don't do this then the wire clamps may become corroded.)

My son said his branch of B&M don't have the Grolsh bottles in stock but that's not to say other stores won't have them.

Ikea sell these 1 Litre swing tops: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30213552/ also available in 500ml.

I have some similar 750ml clear bottles i bought lemonade in. Just to let you know they have plastic caps a little different from the Grolsh bottles and you may not be able to get replacements( or maybe they are swapable.)

Just a "Heads Up" for anyone using ANY Flip-Top bottle!

ALWAYS remember to dismantle everything and sanitise the cap & clamp, rubber washer and bottle SEPARATELY.

After filling the bottles I rinse my hands in the sterilising solution (sensible people would wear latex gloves :doh:), pull out a washer and a cap & clamp from the sterilising fluid, put them together, fit them to the bottle and then seal the top.

(There's a knack to fitting the cap & clamp to the bottle so I suggest that you practice the manoeuvre before doing it for real.) :thumb:

After all the bottles are filled, I rinse the outsides of the bottles to get the sterilising solution off the metal bits and dry them before putting them away. (If you don't do this then the wire clamps may become corroded.)

Good idea however been too lazy to do this. I would lose all the parts lol. I do bend the washer back make sure its clean then drain upside down and store on a container until use.

Here is a link for spare tops http://www.geterbrewed.com/swing-top-metal-bands/

I bought some 750ml Dark Brown Swing tops from my LHBS which i love.

I nearly fainted at first sight of the link but then realised that it was for 10 of the metal bands that allow the swing-tops to be fitted to almost any bottle.

This is the link for the swing-tops themselves ...

http://www.geterbrewed.com/porcelain-swing-tops-12/

... and at £5.95 for 12 I am relieved to know that the €19.95 I paid in France for 50 swing-tops (complete with washers and metal bands) was money well spent. :thumb: :thumb:

PS

To keep check on everything I keep the caps & clamps in one tin and the washers in another. After use I rinse and dismantle everything ready for the next time; and I still find the odd washer whenever I sweep out under the workbench!

Latest posts

Back