My lovely mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_wato

Reaction score
Hello.

My first batch of mead looked lovely and clear so I racked it into a new demi john.
With hindsight I probably should have left it longer as a bubble was still appearing every 1 min 30ish.. anyway...

It's been sitting in this demi john for a while now and I'm not sure if I should rack it into wine bottles or top it up??

I've got a new batch of mead on the go so can iron out my first mistakes..

Has anyone got any tips I.e. should I leave to condition or rack into bottles? Or top up?

Also is it ok to rack into a previously used wine bottle and also use the screw cap that came with it? Washed and sanitised obviously? Or are corks preferred?

Leave it in the demi john some were cold for a few weeks until it drops fully clear , giving time for any very fine bits to drop out of suspension. the old bottles are fine if sterilized, buy some nova caps for the old bottles, they are reuseable and an excellent product.

Hi mark there cap seals for used screw top wine bottles, your looking for Nova twist caps. most big brew sites stock them. look around to get the best price.

Back