Honey source (mead)??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your input , i am gradually working out my own recipe from all your peoples ideas along with mine. I am getting there.Razor did the amount of honey you used ferment out sweet or med sweet, i am maybe thinking of fermenting dry then back sweetening with honey . also not sure about the boil some people do maybe just bring to the boil for a couple of mins or not at all ?

Hi Tanzanite It came out med sweet. I didn't need to back sweeten. I didn't boil as it can impair the honey flavour and AFAIK commercial honey in this country is pasteurised anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Tanzanite It came out med sweet. I didn't need to back sweeten. I didn't boil as it can impair the honey flavour and AFAIK commercial honey in this country is pasteurised anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for your reply, i wont be using commercial honey but fresh spun honey from the hive so will take my chance has i am loath to boil it , i have found a source of small very ripe muscat grapes from greece there not cheap but has this will be one of my projects i dont mind investing a couple of bob getting what i need, i will put up my recipe when i have fully decided on the amount and type of ingredients .

thanks for your reply, i wont be using commercial honey but fresh spun honey from the hive so will take my chance has i am loath to boil it.

A no heat alternative is to treat the must with Camden tablets like with wine. Although plenty people online don't use heat nor sulfite.

A no heat alternative is to treat the must with Camden tablets like with wine. Although plenty people online don't use heat nor sulfite.

T:thumb:hanks yes i an trying to go down the same road has the Romans they didnt have campden tablets so i am going all natural and take a chance, i am going to make an ancient replica if poss then one with wild thai honey and roasted orange zest.

A kilo and a half of honey will give you 1200g of sugar at 80% content, I've used the Harris yeast successfully with mead and the burnt orange peel sounds good. Just warm up and dissolve the honey and scrape off any scum on top which tend to be proteins and wax. Add tsp of citric and tannin source (tea). Key with the meads are nutrients, 2 tsp to start and an additional tsp of nutrient every 10 days for first month or so. That's about it, it improves over time and often you may need to back sweeten as it will probably get to the low 0.99's with the harris premium yeast after 2 months fermenting. maybe less.

Maybe add the peel at start of ferment, keep some back for after first racking.
this reply has been a big help thank you:thumb: would normal wine yeast nutrient do or is there a more natural alternative

this reply has been a big help thank you:thumb: would normal wine yeast nutrient do or is there a more natural alternative

Used just diammonium phosphate, suppose one of the better ones, like wilkos wine nutrient would be even better.

I like Tronozymol as it has a bunch of other nutrients in it and my first mead stuck when I only used DAP. It's probably similar to the fermaid products but I can't get those locally.

I like Tronozymol as it has a bunch of other nutrients in it and my first mead stuck when I only used DAP. It's probably similar to the fermaid products but I can't get those locally.

were would i buy this tronozymol

Back