Bottling yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello. I've left a beer in secondary since mid September and will be bottling it in 2 weeks. It's a strong barleywine fermented with MJ west coast ale yeast.

My research tells me I need to add more yeast before bottling, so was thinking of that fermentis yeast made for bottling, but was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this they could share?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the thread link. It seems to do what I want.

Also I believe the MJ yeast used for primary would not be enough to carbonate as it will be longer than 3 months.

I was about to buy a sachet, but realised the dosage instructions are 2-7g/hl! I don't even know how I could measure it out for 23 litres!

1 hl is 100 litres. So for 23 litres, you would want around 1.2g. (Taking 5g as rough mid-point - actually 1.15g).

So, in reality, not very much. :)

Another forum dicussion here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/yeast-before-bottling-long-secondary.45095/ might be worth a look...

I have no scales that sensitive, would end up being a of of guesswork. I ended up getting a different bottling yeast where I can pitch the whole packet. I'm looking forward to this beer as I think it's the longest I've aged any beer, wouldn't want to ruin it towards the last hurdle.

Did you use the whole packet in a 20-25 litre brew or did you measure out accordingly?

I think they recommend 1g for 10 liters, so I've tried to measure out 2g for my 20l batches.

Danstar recommend rehydrating prior to use, so if you can't measure out 2g, just add the entire packet to 200ml water and then add 40ml to a 20l batch (each package is about 10g).

I have no scales that sensitive, would end up being a of of guesswork. I ended up getting a different bottling yeast where I can pitch the whole packet. I'm looking forward to this beer as I think it's the longest I've aged any beer, wouldn't want to ruin it towards the last hurdle.

Sorry for the late comment...

For scales - search eBay for jewellers scales. They are accurate enough to measure hops, water additions and so on. Can get some very cheap ones from China for a few quid!

Sorry for the late comment...

For scales - search eBay for jewellers scales. They are accurate enough to measure hops, water additions and so on. Can get some very cheap ones from China for a few quid!

I've got some of these I first bought them when I started AG. There cheap and very accurate (I tested them against various coin weights). Very use for small batch brewing hop weights, when you need fractions of a gram

Latest posts

Back