Wilko yeast volcano eruption

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm707

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening ?

I just make a normal all grain brew but whenever I use wilkos yeast I sprinkle on top then after about 24 hrs I lose at least two litres due to crazy foaming eruptions on the top. Proper mess too :(

If I use safale 04 there's no problem but wilkos is easy to get hold of.

Thanks

Is that Wilcos Gervin yeast? If so it's actually Nottingham yeast, a good yeast I use regularly.

I seen lots of photos and talk of these volcanic eruptions but in 107 brews I've never had anything close to one. Can you tell us a bit more about the beers it's used in e.g. are they high OG, what's your fermenting temp? Most of my beers are 1040-1046 and temp-controlled ferment at 20C, I rarely get more the an inch or two of Krausen.

Sg around 1060 . Fermented in the garage using a brewbelt. I didn't think it would get too warm as it was about -5c last night :)
Be suprised if it hit 20c
Couldn't water it down , was already about 3 inches from top of fermenter
Brewed using 6.5 kg pale malt and 400g crystal, about 28 litres at end
:thumb:

Hi!
I use Wilko Gervin Ale yeast as my "go to" yeast, and although it is always quick to start and very vigorous, I've not experienced any problems with foam leaving the FV. I use a blow-off tube rather than a standard airlock.
I've used this yeast successfully at 14°C in pseudo-lagers, pitching at double rate without any problems.

Hi all,
Is there anything I can do to stop this happening ?
I just make a normal all grain brew but whenever I use wilkos yeast I sprinkle on top then after about 24 hrs I lose at least two litres due to crazy foaming eruptions on the top. Proper mess too :(
If I use safale 04 there's no problem but wilkos is easy to get hold of.
Thanks
1. Check the brew temperature, and turn heater down if its above 20*C
2. Use a blow off tube, as Bigcol49 suggests.
3. Brew short next time to give a bigger headspace in your FV.
I agree with darrellm that whenever I have used this yeast with my typical brews of OG 1.040 to 1.045ish I only get an initial krausen of 1", at most 2". I brew in a water bath at 19*C.

3 inches of headspace isn't an awful lot.

I'm going to pursue a different line of enquiry. Do you allow your cold break material into the fermentor or do you let it settle out for 10-20 mins before transfering from the kettle to the fermentor?

Also do you use whole or pellet hops?

I transfer from kettle to cool cube. Leave overnight then transfer into fv and pitch yeast. Whole hops. Going to get a 60 litre fermenter soon so should be better , hopefully :)

I transfer from kettle to cool cube. Leave overnight then transfer into fv and pitch yeast. Whole hops. Going to get a 60 litre fermenter soon so should be better , hopefully :)

So you use the no chill method?

If so it may be that you have extra proteins suspended in the wort, which effectively make bubbles/foam more stable.

Though it doesn't explain why it only occurs with that particular strain.

I make nearly all my beers with fairly vigorous top-fermenting yeasts. I wouldn't be happy with anything less than 9" free space in the primary FV, otherwise I'd expect it to overflow. I normally use a 30l plastic bin, which allows me a decent headspace to start the fermentation.

Lol I use wilkos gervin primarily to watch the shenanigans during fermentation. In addition to that it's damn good yeast in all other respects. I couldn't do with a yeast that didn't let you know that it was happy and getting on with the job in no uncertain terms.

Back